Club’s away woes continue as Gavin hits two in 3-1 win

Ashley Longstaff of Sheffield FC celebrates his second goal of the game v Stocksbridge Park Steels
Ashley Longstaff of Sheffield FC celebrates his second goal of the game v Stocksbridge Park Steels
Have your say

Sheffield FC’s away woes continued as two first half goals proved enough to send them down to a tenth defeat in 13 on the road at promotion chasing Spalding United.

The home side had already fired a warning shot, hitting the post inside the first minute, before edging in front on 20 when from a throw-in Jordan Hempenstall rifled in a fine effort from the edge of the box. Club went close on 40 minutes as Ashley Longstaff saw his decent strike go just over the crossbar.

However, Spalding increased their lead two minutes from the break.

Mitchell Griffiths found space in the area to score with a clinical finish. Moments later Sheffield were agonisingly close to reducing the deficit as the Spalding keeper produced a brilliant save to keep out Jamie Hadfield’s goalbound header at a corner.

Club battled to get back in the game in the second half with substitute Zeph Thomas firing into the side netting.

James Gregory had an effort well blocked then there were shouts for a penalty when Longstaff was bundled over in the area, while at the other end Spalding had a great chance to wrap up the points late on but Ryan Oliver fluffed his lines firing over the bar.

Two goals from Gavin Allott and one from John Cyrus saw Frickley Athletic gain only their second away win of the season in a 3-1 success at Stamford.

Allott tapped in from eight-yards to give the Blues a sixth minute lead after the keeper had misjudged a lofted cross. The lead was short lived as Stamford equalised five minutes later with an angled shot that went in off the post.

Frickley edged in front for a second time on 76 minutes with Allott volleying in his second, leaving the keeper rooted to the spot. Three minutes later Cyrus stooped to head home a free-kick to seal the points.

Buxton came from a goal down to boost their hopes of automatic promotion with a 3-2 win at leaders Skelmersdale United.

Ashley Palmer’s 21st minute header cancelling out the host’s 12th minute opener before Greg Young edged the Bucks in front nine minutes from the break. Liam Hardy scored what proved to be the winner on 54 minutes converting an Ashley Burbeary’s cross for Buxton’s third as United reduced the arrears from the penalty spot just before the hour.

Matlock Town lost out 4-3 at Halesowen Town. Two goals from James Ashmore including one from the penalty spot sent the Gladiators in leading 2-1 at the interval. The host’s hit back with two goals early in the second half to lead 3-2 but Matlock looked to have salved a point when Jason Stokes restored parity five minutes from time only for the home side to snatch an injury time winner.

Stocksbridge Park Steels’ home game against Market Drayton Town was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Fixtures, tomorrow: Doodson Sport League Cup Third Round: Farsley AFC v Sheffield FC