Club lose top spot

Sheffield v Ilkeston, Jamie Hadfield scores Sheffield's only goal (42)''Pic Bob Westerdale
Sheffield v Ilkeston, Jamie Hadfield scores Sheffield's only goal (42)''Pic Bob Westerdale
Have your say

After four straight league victories at the BT Local Business Stadium, Sheffield FC saw their 100% record go after second-placed Ilkeston came from behind to win 3-1 and replace Club at the top of Division One South.

Mark Shaw’s side were forced to play for over an hour with 10-men after defender Matt Varley was given a straight red for a 27th minute challenge on Ilkeston’s Will McCall.

Nevertheless Club went in front three minutes before the break when Jamie Hadfield headed in. But Ilkeston equalising after the break through Gary Rickets 65th minute header. Former Spurs midfielder Darren Caskey gave the visitors the lead three minutes later from 20-yards before Ilkeston scrambled home the third 16 minutes from time, later credited as a Dan Whatsize own-goal

Stocksbridge Park Steels slumped to a fifth successive league defeat, 1-0 at Nantwich Town to stay second from bottom of the Premier Division and five points adrift of safety.

The game featured nine bookings and two red cards the first of which saw Steels Mark Ward sent-off on 29 minutes for kicking-out at Town’s Aleksandrs Solovjovs, in an off the ball incident.

Solojovs was also later sent-off after a trip on Matt Telling that resulted in a second yellow card. The winner came on 66 minutes when Ben Mills drilled a low shot past Ben Scott. Steels Michael Blythen had gone close to giving his side a 27th minute lead with a fierce drive brilliantly saved by Jonathan Brain.

Frickley Athletic and Rushall Olympic fought out a lacklustre 0-0 draw at Westfield Lane. Frickley had the best of the chances there were, most of which fell to Peter Knox but somehow the veteran striker managed to spurn them.

Managerless Worksop Town were beaten 4-1 at high-riding Chorley. The Tigers matched their opponents in the first half going in at the break level only to fall away after the break. New signing Ashley Burbeary set up Jamie Jackson to score the Worksop goal from six-yards. It was Worksop’s fifth away defeat in six.

Chris Bettney’s quickly taken free-kick gave Matlock Town a 1-1 draw at Whitby Town..

Two first half goals were enough to earn Buxton the points against ten-man Mickleover Sports at the Silverlands. Mark Reed opened the scoring on 22 minutes knocking in the rebound after a Kieran Lugsden shot had been blocked by the keeper. Lugsden then made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time tapping in from close range after being set-up by Steve Ridley.

TUESDAY - Premier Division: Stocksbridge Park Steels v Bradford Park Avenue. Doodson Sport Cup First Round: Sheffield FC v Wakefield.

Wednesday - Premier Division: Ashton United v Buxton, Matlock Town v North Ferriby United, Mickleover Sports v Frickley Athletic, Worksop Town v Chasetown.