32-goal Mettam saves Worksop

Worksop Town v Grantham Town, pictured is Leon Mettam (w131214-5c)
Worksop Town v Grantham Town, pictured is Leon Mettam (w131214-5c)
Have your say

Worksop Town’s goal machine Leon Mettam marked his return from injury by coming off the bench to score a stoppage time equaliser in a 2-2 draw at relegation battling Witton Albion.

The Premier Division top scorer had missed the last four games but after hitting the post shortly after being thrown into the action just past the hour mark, showed he had lost none of his predatory instincts.

Mettam was quickest to react to Adam Quinn’s flick on to tuck the ball away from a tight angle with almost the last kick of the game for his 32nd goal of the season.

Worksop had gone ahead on 28 minutes when Jack Muldoon drilled a low effort into the bottom corner.

The Tigers were pegged back seven minutes into the second half as Michal Powell swept home a corner. Witton looked to have won it when Josh Hannock 25-yard strike found the net via the crossbar with 16 minutes remaining but Mettam had other ideas.

The draw meant Worksop slipped one place to fourth on goal-difference after promotion rivals AFC Fylde won 4-0 at Buxton.

Frickley Athletic picked up only their second away win of the season, but what an important one it was as Karl Rose side won 2-0 at relegation rivals Stafford Rangers to pull four points clear of the drop zone.

The hosts had the better of the early exchanges but Frickley began to get a foothold in the game with Fernando Moke forcing the Rangers keeper into a fine save.

Eight minutes before the break Frickley made the breakthrough after their talisman and skipper Gavin Allott made the most of a defensive slip to fire the Blues in front. Allott then turned provider for the second 10 minutes into the second half flicking the ball on for Moke to score with a cool finish.

Matlock Town kept their play-off hopes alive with a 2-0 home win over basement club Droylsden.

Daryl Thomas gave the Gladiators a 20th minute lead with an angled drive with Danny Holland adding the second from the penalty spot nine minutes into the second half after Shaun Tuton had been upended.

Sheffield FC’s home clash against Division One leaders Halesowen Town was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch as was Stocksbridge Park Steels game at Ilkeston FC.