Non-League: Sheffield FC book place in next round of FA Cup but Stocksbridge suffer shock exit

Sheffield FC booked their place in the Emirates FA Cup first qualifying round after seeing off Litherland REMYCA, the old club of Sheffield United defender Jack O’Connell, 2-1 at the home of football.

Friday, 23rd August 2019, 10:47 am
Updated Sunday, 25th August 2019, 21:57 pm
17 year old substitute Brandon Whitfield (on left) scores Stocksbridge equaliser - Please Credit Gillian Handisides

Club finally broke deadlock after 35 minutes, Adam Chapman sending a stunning hooked volley into the net on the angle to give the hosts a deserved lead at the break.

However, Litherland were level just after the restart as Sheffield were caught napping. Parity though didn’t last long as Club regained the lead just before the hour, Karl Demidh netting what proved to be the winner.

A youthful Stocksbridge Park Steels side went out in a surprise 3-2 defeat against NWC league side, Irlam FC at Bracken Moor

Steels found themselves facing an uphill task after conceding twice inside the opening six minutes. Chris Hilton’s makeshift team put the visitors under tremendous pressure after the break and the visitors finally buckled on 53 minutes, Lewis Whitham cutting inside to send a tremendous effort into the top corner.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The inevitable equaliser arrived on 65 minutes as 17-year-old substitute Brandon Whitfield burst into the box to score with a very composed finish for someone so young.

Stocksbridge looked like they would go on and win it only to be hit by a sucker punch a couple of minutes later as poor defending allowed Irlam to nab the winner.

It was a day to forget for Handsworth as Russ Eagle’s side crashed out 6-0 at 1874 Northwich.

In the Toolstation NCE League, Hallam were beaten 3-0 at Skegness Town – a scoreline that flattered the home side.

The Countrymen got off to the worse possible start falling behind after just three minutes through a Ben Davison header. Goalkeeper Archie Sneath suffered a knee injury as he tried to keep the ball out, and had to be replaced by U19’s keeper Oliver Barnes.

Hallam went close to an equaliser before the break when Jason Stokes put Jordan Turner in on goal only to fire wide. The Countrymen then had the ball in the net early in the second half only for Tom Staniland’s effort to be ruled out for offside.

Stokes volleyed just over the bar, while Turner saw his effort deflected wide as Hallam looked the more threatening.

However, Steve Whitehead’s men were caught out by a sucker punch as Gary King doubled the lead on 81 minutes with Leigh Hutchinson adding a third in time added on after Barnes had made a great save.

Fixtures, Monday (3pm): Glossop NE v Stocksbridge PS, Sheffield FC v Leek Town.