No change to security assessment for Proact matches after terror arrest on Sheffield Road

Derbyshire Police will not be altering their security procedure for Chesterfield FC's festive fixtures at the Proact, despite a terror-related arrest on Sheffield Road last week.

Tuesday, 26th December 2017, 12:04 pm
Updated Tuesday, 26th December 2017, 1:05 pm
Proact Stadium

A 31-year-old man was arrested at his home address on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

Police cordoned off Sheffield Road, Whittington Moor, and a bomb disposal team were seen operating in King Street North.

The Proact Stadium was, for a time, used to house local residents who were unable to return to their homes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And the football club’s proximity to the scene of last week’s incident has made the police activity a talking point among supporters on social media.

But assistant chief constable Bill McWilliam says secturity protocols are already in place to safeguard those attending matches.

“Nationally, with the threat level being ‘severe,’ all large public events undergo a security assessment and we urge the public to be continually vigilant,” he said.

“While we understand the incident in Chesterfield has caused concern, there will be no reduction or increase in the assessment of security at all large-scale events, including football matches.”

Chesterfield FC say they are led by the relevant authorities on how to keep supporters safe.

Chief executive Michael Dunford added: “We will always try and ensure the safety and comfort of all those who visit the Proact Stadium.

“We’re in constant touch with the emergency services, local authorities and the EFL and we follow the guidelines laid down by them.”