Newcomers seal historic league win

Have your say

AFC Wimbledon earned the first Football League win of their history after beating Dagenham and Redbridge 2-0 in npower League Two last weekend.

The Londoners, formed after Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes, marked their return to league football with a last-gasp defeat to Bristol Rovers, but they were triumphant at Victoria Road today thanks to a penalty from Luke Moore and a second-half strike from Rashid Yussuff.

League Two favourites Crawley Town also registered their first win in the division with a 2-0 victory over Macclesfield at Broadfield Stadium. Tyrone Barnett headed home just before the hour to put Steve Evans’ team ahead before substitute Wesley Thomas beat the offside trap to race through and score to seal the win.

Gillingham also maintained their 100 per cent record by beating Crewe 2-1 at Gresty Road.

Chris Whelpdale and Danny Spiller scored within two minutes of each other to put Gillingham ahead before Dario Gradi’s men pulled one back through Shaun Miller.

Southend are the only other team in the division to have won both their matches as they overcame 10-man Accrington Stanley 2-1 at the Crown Ground today.

Liam Dickinson’s second minute penalty put Southend ahead but Accrington levelled through Andrew Procter just before half-time.

Ryan Hall got on the end of Neil Harris’ pass before firing in from 12 yards to seal the defeat of the home side, who had Kevin McIntyre sent off for a second yellow card in injury time. At the other end of the table, Hereford were condemned to their second straight defeat with a 3-0 hammering against Morecambe, who had Phil Jevons, Stewart Drummond and Danny Carlton on the scoresheet.

Paolo Di Canio endured his first defeat as Swindon boss as his team lost 1-0 away to Cheltenham, for whom Steve Elliott was on target.

Bristol Rovers manager Paul Buckle left the Memorial Stadium red faced after falling to a 2-1 defeat against former employers Torquay. Taiwo Atieno put Torquay ahead before he was fouled in the box and Rene Howe made no mistake from the penalty spot.

Byron Anthony pulled one back for the home side in the second half but they could not find an equaliser and the Gulls took home all three points.

Barnet were given a reality check at Underhill as they followed up their Carling Cup win over Championship side Portsmouth up with a 3-1 loss to Port Vale.

Vale coasted in to a 3-0 lead with a brace from Sean Rigg and a strike from Gary Roberts before Jason Price grabbed the home side’s only goal of the game in the 63rd minute.