New boss Shaw sees rare Sheffield defeat

Went close: Stocksbridge's Jack Muldoon.            Picture: Peter Goldstraw
Went close: Stocksbridge's Jack Muldoon. Picture: Peter Goldstraw
Have your say

Mark Shaw was unveiled to the Dronfield faithful before the home game against Romulus after being appointed Sheffield FC boss earlier in the week.

With caretaker boss Ian Whitehorne overseeing the last two games before handing over, the 32-year-old former Retford United and Sutton Town boss took on a watching brief as Club ended their home campaign with a 3-1 defeat, their first reversal in nine games.

Whitehorne was down to the bare bones with a number of players either unavailable or injured, so was able to name only three substitutes.

Sheffield were behind after just seven minutes. Steve Woolley’s poor back pass forcing goalkeeper Dan Whatsize into a challenge on Marvin Johnson, which looked to be just outside the box. The referee however, with little help from his assistant, awarded a penalty that Nathan Walker converted. There was a yellow card for Whatsize who was perhaps fortunate i.

The home side levelled on 21 minutes when Andy Gascoigne hooked in a Jack Smith cross. Gascoigne headed narrowly wide and Joel Purkiss had an effort that sailed just over the bar.

Romulus though regained the lead seven minutes after the interval when Johnson smashed home a cross from the left. Sheffield fell further behind on 67 minutes. Whatsize made a fine stop from substitute Naveed Arshad but Robert Evans was on hand to knock home the rebound. Roney went close to pulling one back with a 25-yard drive that dipped just over. However, Whatsize twice saved late on.

In the Premier Division, Stocksbridge Park Steels slipped to only their second defeat in the last seven an end of season affair.

After a lacklustre first 45 minutes the game livened up after the break following Sam Madeley’s scissor kick that gave Ashton a 58th minute lead. Jack Muldoon and Alex Callery went close for Steels before Aaron Burns wrapped up the points with goals on 78 and 81 minutes to put Ashton 3-0 up. Sub Phil Joynes headed in a Colin Marrison cross six minutes from time on his first appearance of the season to give Steels a consolation.

Frickley Athletic’s battle against relegation will go down to the last game after they were denied three crucial points by a last minute equaliser at Marine. Danny Walsh gave Frickley a 13th minute lead from the penalty spot. And it looked like being enough until the home side levelled through Stephen Brown in stoppage time. The point lifted Frickley out of the bottom four but they must equal Burscough’s result at home against Marine this afternoon when they host play-off hopeful North Ferriby.

Worksop Town were well beaten 4-0 at promotion chasing Bradford Park Avenue, while Buxton’s play-off hopes are dangling by a thread after being held 1-1 at relegation threatened Nantwich Town, who levelled nine minutes from time after Mark Reed had given the Bucks a 53rd minute lead from the spot.

FC United of Manchester confirmed their place in the Play-offs with a 2-1 win at Matlock despite the visitors being forced to play striker Ben Deegan in goal. Matt Wolfenden snapped up a rebound to give the visitors a 38th minute lead. The Gladiators levelled through James Lukic but Jerome Wright hit United’s winner on 53 minutes.

Alfreton Town clinched the Blue Square North title romping to a 4-0 win over Redditch United. Paul Clayton and Liam Hearn hit two each.

Today (3pm) - Premier Div: Buxton v Matlock T, Chasetown v Retford Utd, Frickley Ath v North Ferriby U, Stocksbridge PS v Whitby T, Worksop T v Hucknall T. Div One South: Lincoln United v Sheffield FC.