Millers strike back for victory: ROTHERHAM UNITED 3 OXFORD UNITED 1

editorial image
Have your say

ROTHERHAM United came back from a goal behind to end up comfortable winners over Oxford United at New York Stadium.

From a corner on the left Oxford took the lead, Forster-Caskey pulled it back low towards the edge of the area, Rotherham were caught napping and RIGG swooped to strike a low left foot shot inside the near post.

Just before this, Oxford had made a tactical change. Boss Wilder went to the edge of his technical area to speak to Worley who had begun the game as one of three central defenders.

The outcome was that he stepped forward to pick up Pringle who was playing just behind Odejayi.

Rotherham were framing better and, probably boosted by the near misses, kept up the pressure and equalised on the half hour with a penalty.

It all began with a long throw from Arnason which Sharps headed on. It dropped to Ainsworth who looked sure to score but struck his close range effort against the bar. Odejayi got to the rebound first and was toppled near the byline by Batt.

With regular penalty taker Nardiello on the bench it was O’CONNOR who took responsibility and struck his spot kick past the full length right side dive of Brown.

Some fans were complaining at half time that there had been problems again with the automatic turnstiles causing queues before kick off.

Rotherham started this half better than they had done the first and after neat work from Ainsworth, Pringle delivered a lightning quick centre and Odejayi’s glancing header went just wide.

Agard had a header saved as Rotherham piled it on going towards the North End.

From Arnason’s long throw Agard turned his effort narrowly wide and then went on a run into the area but was shut out by the keeper when he threatened to score

But with 16 minutes to go Rotherham went in front.

Arnason and Pringle linked up to find Hunt on the overlap. His centre to the far post was laid back by Odejayi and O’CONNOR struck a measured effort from 18 yards into the corner.

Pringle was denied by an outstanding save from Brown and from the ensuing corner Arnason saw his header cleared off the line.

A fantastic double save by Shearer denied Oxford an equaliser and Rotherham broke straight upfield from the eventual clearance through Ainsworth and Agard and it was sub TAYLOR who side-footed the ball in to make it 3-1 with a couple of minutes to go.

ROTHERHAM UTD: Shearer, Hunt, Sharps, Morgan, Harris, Ainsworth, Arnason, O’Connor, Evans, Pringle, Odejayi. Subs: Warrington, Mullins, Taylor, Bradley, Noble, Nardiello, Agard.

OXFORD UTD: Brown, Raynes, Wright, Worley, Batt, Potter, Cox, Forster-Caskey, Capaldi, Rigg, Craddock. Subs: Clarke, Heslop, Leven, O’Brien, Constable, Smalley, Boateng.

Referee: Graham Salisbury (Lancs)