Millers Lose: Aldershot 3 Rotherham United 1

Millers midfielder Lee Frecklington climbs to beat Aaron Morris in the air
Millers midfielder Lee Frecklington climbs to beat Aaron Morris in the air
Have your say

ROTHERHAM United were dumped out of the FA Cup in their third-round tie at the Recreation Ground, where they had won 3-0 in League Two against Aldershot earlier in the season.

See The Star on Monday for full report, reaction and more.

This was a much-changed Aldershot side from the one which was so poor when the two sides last met a few months ago.

But it was a different Rotherham line-up as well and, in fact, none of today’s back four were in the defence on the last visit.

In addition, the home side’s results had improved drastically with only three defeats in the subsequent 14 games before today.

Rotherham had an excellent following for this long trip and they almost had a goal to cheer in only the second minute.

Firstly, a Revell header was desperately sliced over his own bar by Bradley.

From Pringle’s corner the ball was helped on to the far post where Nardiello saw his header hit the bar with Arnason’s follow-up being blocked.

However, in their first attack, Aldershot took a sixth-minute lead.

Arnason headed away well from Cadogan’s cross. The ball went out towards the touchline where Nardiello ran to close down Herd but then pulled out of the challenge.

The right-back delivered a delicious centre into the area where HYLTON saw his first effort blocked but he forced home the loose ball.

There was a real hunger about Aldershot and a threat when they went forward, and the Millers had a real mountain to climb when they went two down after 23 minutes.

Vincenti took on Pringle down the left and won a free-kick just outside the area. Cadogan curled it in and HYLTON beat Bradley in the aír to head past Warrington.

Aldershot were battling for every ball and it was evident that revenge was in the air as far as they were concerned and Rotherham’s recent excellent Half-time: Aldershot 2 Millers 0

The Millers made two changes at half-time, Cameron for O’Connor and Morgan for Nardiello.

On the hour Steve Evans made his final change, replacing Revell with Odejayi.

Then on 62 minutes Rotherham’s cup dreams suffered a shattering blow when HYLTON completed his hat-trick.

Rotherham were handed a lifeline on 71 minutes. Morgan and Frecklington linked before Cameron’s centre was blocked by the arm of Herd to concede a penalty. FRECKLINGTON netted.

Two minutes later Rotherham were so close to scoring again. Odejayi flicked on, Morgan neatly eased the ball into the path of Frecklington who shot past Young but the ball struck the post.

Cameron retrieved the loose ball centred and Odejayi put his header over the top.