Millers FT: Rotherham United 2 Aldershot 0

Lee Frecklington scores the Millers second goal as the fans invade the pitch. Pic: ony Marshall/PA Wire.
Lee Frecklington scores the Millers second goal as the fans invade the pitch. Pic: ony Marshall/PA Wire.
Have your say

Rotherham United secured promotion to League One on a glorious day at the New York Stadium with victory over Aldershot Town.

Second half goals from Johnny Mullins and Lee Frecklington were all the Millers needed to finish second in League Two after a fantastic finish to the season.

There was a standing ovation and a thunderous one it was too when chairman Tony Stewart went onto the pitch before kick-off to address the crowd.

He thanked everyone for making the season a success it had been and there was a chorus of “there’s only one Tony Stewart” from around the ground.

A huge roar greeted Rotherham’s first attack and they might have scored.

Arnason’s long throw was punched out by Young and Pringle’s effort on the volley was just over the top.

The Millers had started on the front foot and the crowd were certainly doing their bit and the visitors were fortunate to survive the opening 15 minutes.

O’Connor drilled a 25 yarder beyond the far post before Agard had a goal bound shot blocked inside the six yard area.

Next Pringle set up Frecklington for a clear chance only for Lancashire to bravely throw himself in front the goal bound effort.

Aldershot hardly knew what was hitting them such was the early fury and when Revell broke through on the angle, he was clear but ended up stretching and he poked the ball across the six yard area.

There were no goals before half time and Aldershot made a change replacing Vincenti with Reid at the break.

Rotherham needed to lift their game as they set off towards an expectant North End.

However they had a real scare following a long throw. It wasn’t cleared and Mekki swooped six yards out and it needed a desperate block from Davis and Arnason to divert the shot for a corner.

A long ball from Mullins saw Revell almost surprise Young when he got his head to the ball 20 yards out and almost cleared the keeper.

Pringle foraged for possession and it ended with Revell having a shot held by Young.

A change came for the Millers when Nardiello went on to great cheers. Agard went off.

Aldershot, staring at relegation, were showing lots of spirit however and were now feeding off the edginess that was starting to seep into Rotherham’s game and around the ground.

A handling offence by Noble saw Stanley strike the free kick from 25 yards and Shearer had to make a very sharp save.

Herd was booked for a bad challenge on Nardiello.

From the free kick, after 63 minutes, the ground erupted when Rotherham got that all important opening goal.

O’Connor curled it in high from the left and keeper Young failed to hold on under pressure. From the loose ball there was a scramble and the ball was diverted across the six yard area in front of an empty net and it skipper MULLINS who gleefully rammed the ball into the net from about a yard out.

As the crowd went crazy Mullins set off on a wild run of celebration, jumping up and pumping the air as his team mates chased him and the place went potty.

The goal had come at just the right time because Aldershot had been growing in confidence and starting to threaten as an attacking force and testing Rotherham’s nerve.

The noise levels began to rise again and there was almost a second goal when Pringle got free on the left and his shot curled across the goal face inches in front of Nardiello.

In stoppage time Arnason twice cleared off the line once via the underside of the bar. It was a miracle escape.

Right at the end FRECKLINGTON made it 2-0 which led to a mass pitch invasion.