Millers blown away by Howell and Gayle: DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE 5 ROTHERHAM 0

Luke Rooney fires the ball past Oluwafemi Ilesanmi on his Millers debut
Luke Rooney fires the ball past Oluwafemi Ilesanmi on his Millers debut
Have your say

rotherham United were well beaten at Dagenham and Redbridge after being torn apart by the home team.

Although he had suggested he would look within the squad to replace on loan hamstring victim Jamie Devitt, Millers manager Steve Evans plucked out yet another loan signing in Luke Rooney.

The 21-year-old right winger (no relation to the Man Utd star) arrived yesterday from Swindon for a loan period which will run until January 5.

There was a bad start for the Millers who found themselves behind after only five minutes.

They were caught napping by a ball played down towards the byline. There was hesitation but wide man Reed got in quickly to pull the ball back and GAYLE rattled it home.

Dagenham were really lively up front and Howell was too quick for them as he burst into the area, drove the ball across but the lively Gayle missed his connection as he tried to turn the ball home.

Then Rotherham almost levelled when Frecklington struck a superb volley from just outside the area only for Lewington to make a spectacular flying, one handed save.

Rotherham really needed to get some sort of grip on this game and the home side’s speed and energy was proving a real handful.

There was a hold up in play after a clash of heads between Odejayi and Wilkinson. The Dagenham defender was led off the field with a blood covered towel to his head.

When play re-started Morris needed attention when he rolled into the boundary wall and appeared to hurt his hand but he was able to continue.

After nearly 10 minutes off the field Wilkinson returned with his head bandaged.

A difficult afternoon for the Millers got worse when they went two down on 35 minutes.

Rooney tried to go round Ilesanmi on the edge of the Dagenham area. But was robbed and the burly left back set off on a rampaging run down the touchline which carried him to Rotherham’s penalty area where he squared the ball to HOWELL who drove a low 20 yarder past Warrington.

Rooney, who hadn’t really got in the game, was replaced by Evans at half time. But the Millers needed a big change all round.

The ref pulled skipper Sharps towards him so he could hear the warning he was giving Frecklington. Then O’Connor was booked for catching Doe.

Rotherham had a free kick just outside the area, two yards from the byline. Everyone piled forward but O’Connor wastefully put the free kick into the side netting.

Appeals for a penalty when Frecklington’s shot struck the arm of Agogo were waved away.

Big let off for Rotherham came when Howell blazed a great chance over the bar from eight yards.

Then Warrington superbly denied Gayle after the striker proved too sharp inside the area for the Millers.

Just past the hour Nardiello replaced Odejayi.

Morris was booked for a foul.

Then Rotherham were caught by a swift break, Elito slipped the ball across to Spillane who looked sure to score only for Warrington to save superbly with an outstretched leg.

But with 15 minutes to go, it was all over and Rotherham could have no complaints whatsoever. Ilesanmi stormed forward from left back, got into the area and pulled the ball back for HOWELL to side-foot an easy third goal.

Nardiello had an opening at an angle but Lewington denied him with a fine block and Rotherham were looking a well beaten side and the Daggers were hungry for more goals.

Sharps was booked although it looked a fair enough challenge on Gayle.

With 10 minutes left Warrington made a fantastic save from Gayle but within seconds ELITO had fired Dagenham’s fourth through a crowded area.

Warrington had conceded four but had it not been for him they’d have conceded some more. He then denied Saunders.

Rotherham’s misery was complete in the 90th minute when GAYLE tapped in with the Millers in disarray.

DAGENHAM: Lewington, Wilkinson, Doe, Ogogo, Ilesanmi, Reed, Spillane, Elito, Saunders, Howell, Gayle. Subs: Seabright, Scott, Green, Hoyte, Woodall, Bingham, Currie.

ROTHERHAM UTD: Warrington, Bradley, Sharps, Morgan, Morris, Rooney, Frecklington, O’Connor, Pringle. Revell, Odejayi. Subs: Thompson, Hunt, Wilson, Taylor, Evans, Nardiello, Denton.

Referee: Roger East (Cambs).