Millers battle back for victory: ROTHERHAM UNITED 4 CHELTENHAM 2

Ben Pringle, 2nd right, is congratulated on his goal for the Millers as they go in front
Ben Pringle, 2nd right, is congratulated on his goal for the Millers as they go in front
Have your say

ROTHERHAM United recovered from conceding an early goal to see of Cheltenham Town with a four-goal burst.

It was a sensational start with a goal at either end in the opening four minutes.

It was Cheltenham who went in front after just 50 seconds.

They forced a corner on the left. Jones took it, the ball dropped towards the far post where right back LOWE arrived and scored not with his head but with a left footed half volley as Rotherham’s defence looked on aghast.

The reply was instant and inspired by young newcomer Cameron who was playing on the left.

He gave a glimpse of his qualities with a good run down the left and a dangerous cross which Nardiello put into the side netting at the far post.

Then came the equaliser in the next attack in the fourth minute.

Cameron ‘skinned’ Lowe, the cross saw Revell challenge keeper Brown. The ball dropped away and NARDIELLO celebrated his return to the side with a simple close range header

On 21 minutes Rotherham were in front.

There was a high ball from Bradley, Revell challenged and as the ball broke clear PRINGLE pounced, nodded the ball past Penn and then struck a low left foot shot past Brown.

The visitors had to produce some solid defending to keep the Millers at bay but it didn’t last.

On 28 minutes Morgan clipped the ball forward just beyond Elliott. NARDIELLO took it down perfectly, flipped inside Bennett and calmly rolled his shot past the keeper.

However, two minutes later the Millers conceded.

McGlashan, looking suspiciously offside, was allowed to run through and put the ball across to give ZEBROSKI an easy finish.

When the same linesman’s flag went up for offside a minute later, there were loud cheers from all the Millers fans behind him.

It had certainly been an entertaining first half with most fans tipping more goals.

The last thing Rotherham wanted was an injury to a defender and there was anxiety when Sharps went down and stayed down.

He needed attention to his face and fortunately was able to continue.

Rotherham were then close to stretching their lead.

Revell slipped the ball into the area, Nardiello was on to it at an angle with the keeper off his line but his delicate chip drifted over the bar.

Pack was then booked for a foul on Frecklington as both sides got frustrated with some of the decisions.

Nardiello engineered some space but his shot went straight at the keeper.

Then controversy. Frecklington burst into the area, clearly seemed to be impeded but went down on one knee and expecting a penalty as did everyone else but the referee said no.

FRECKLINGTON wrapped it up in stoppage time then youth player Walker went on for Cameron.

ROTHERHAM UTD: Warrington, Bradley, Sharps, Morgan, Morris, Pringle, Taylor, Frecklington, Cameron, Revell, Nardiello. Subs: Thompson, O’Connor, Evans, Odejayi, Rose, Rooney, Walker.

CHELTENHAM TOWN: Brown, Lowe, Bennett, Elliott, Jones, Carter, Pack, McGlashan, Penn, Mohamed, Zebroski. Subs: Roberts, Deering, Duffy, Goulding, Harrad, Andrew, Hanks.

Referee: Darren Sheldrake (Surrey)