Meadowhall League

Have your say

Rawson Spring moved to the top of the Premier Division table on goal-difference following a 3-1 away win at defending champions Handsworth Turf Tavern as leaders Royal Earl suffered their first defeat of the season losing 4-1 at Crookes.

It was the first ever league meeting between the two teams and it was the top flight new-boys Rawson who made the brighter start having the better of the opening exchanges that brought its reward with a goal on 25 minutes. Alex Torr broke quickly playing the ball out wide to James Middleton whose cross-cum-shot found the top corner.

Rawson doubled their lead five minutes into the second half. Brandon Cardwell nodded a deep corner back across goal where Jake Hampshire struck a powerful first time effort and although the Handsworth keeper got a hand to the ball it bounced into the net off unfortunate Handsworh defender Ryan Goodinson.

Five minutes later the points were as good as in the bag as Rawson went 3-0 up. Daniel Smith flicked on a goal kick towards Torr who was brought down by the keeper as he surged into the area before picking himself up to thump the resultant spot high into the top corner.

Handsworth were given a glimmer of hope when they reduced the arrears on 70 minutes.

A long ball saw Russell Hobson get in behind the Rawson defence to score from a tight angle with a shot that went through the keeper legs. But it turned out to be no more than a consolation effort as Rawson stretched their unbeaten start to four games, while Handsworth remain without a point from three outings.

Crookes made amends for their 4-3 defeat at Royal Earl the previous week as the hosts turned the tables on their visitors to run out comfortable winners.

Joel Purkiss gave Crookes the ideal start with a goal after just five minutes. Liam Cartledge doubled the advantage three minutes into the second half and although Jamie Smith pulled one back. Paul Wood restored the two goal cushion on 75 minutes with Elliot Simpson curling in a fine free-kick five minutes later.

After back-to-back defeats, Sharrow United got their season up and running with an 8-1 demolition of Wadsley Bridge WMC.

Michael Redhead gave Sharrow a 24th minute lead with a bullet of a header from a corner .

It stayed that way until two minutes into the second half when Redhead turned provider for Martin Brissett to score with a low drive, the first of his hat-trick.

Danny Vidal rounded the keeper for the third on 67 minutes.

Rashawn Bowers hit two and Al-Hakem was also on target.