MATCH REPORT: Derby County 1 Doncaster Rovers 3

Doulble trouble: Rovers' Franck Moussa runs into two Derby players.
Doulble trouble: Rovers' Franck Moussa runs into two Derby players.
Have your say

DONCASTER Rovers climbed back above Derby County in the table after claiming their first win in six games at Pride Park last night.

Rovers are now unbeaten in their last three games.

Celebrations: Billy Sharp is congratulated after putting Doncaster in front.

Celebrations: Billy Sharp is congratulated after putting Doncaster in front.

Both leading scorer Billy Sharp and skipper Brian Stock lined up for Rovers after passing late fitness tests.

But Rovers were forced to make one enforced change to their starting line-up.

On-loan striker Jason Euell, who scored the equaliser in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at home to Watford, was replaced by Dean Shiels.

Another on-loan striker Theo Robinson, whose goal at Sheffield United’s Bramall Lane on Saturday secured the Rams their first away win since New Year’s Day, made his starting home debut for Nigel Clough’s side.

Former Rovers’ favourite Paul Green started at right-back for the home side.

The Rams forced the early pace and striker Steven Davies shot just wide from close range in the fifth minute after getting on the end of Ben Davies’ cross.

Sheffield United loanee Jamie Ward just cleared the crossbar with a fierce 25 yarder on 13 minutes. Robinson shot wide of the near post after bursting into the box under pressure from centre-back George Friend.

Rovers midfielder John Oster shot over with an angled effort from inside the box two minutes later.

Although heavily outnumbered, the irrepressible Rovers’ fans in the stand behind Woods’ goal were making themselves heard.

Franck Moussa shot straight at Derby keeper Frank Fielding when trying to pick out Shiels at the far post with a cross.

Woods came off his line to beat Robinson, who looked well offside, to a through ball.

Rovers centre-back Wayne Thomas cut out a low cross by Robinson, meant for midfielder Miles Addison.

Moussa looked likely to create a shooting chance for himself before being robbed by left-back John Brayford just inside the box.

With half an hour gone there was little to chose between the two sides, with neither keeper being troubled.

Ben Davies, who appeared to push a defender, had his shot blocked by Woods’ feet.

Steven Davies shot wide when the Rams next pushed forward.

After that, Sam Hird cut out a dangerous-looking cross into the box at the expense of a corner.

Finally, Rovers broke the deadlock on 41 minutes - Paul Keegan picking out Sharp with a throughball and the club’s record signing beat Fielding with an angled shot to claim his 14th goal of the season.

Sharp then saved a goal at the other; he hooked away Miles Addison’s goal-bound header after Woods had done well to keep out Ben Davies’ 25 yard free-kick at the expense of a corner.

Derby had had their chances this half, and should have at least been level at the break.

Rovers doubled their lead three minutes after the restart.

Oster jinked past a couple of defenders wide out on the right before producing a pin-point cross for Sharp to head home from close range at the far post to make it 2-0.

There were loud boos from the Derby fans when manager Nigel Clough took off Robinson and brought on Alberto Bueno after 52 minutes.

Chants of ‘You don’t know what you’re doing’ ringed round the stands.

Woods produced another good save with his legs to block his Ben Davies’ close range shot at the near post.

And Sharp shot just wide of the far post on 56 minutes after being put away by Moussa, who had been much more involved than on Saturday.

The Belgian ran at goal after robbing a defender 40 yards out, only to shoot well wide from outside the box.

Oster shot into the side netting under pressure from a defender in Rovers next raid.

Rovers were playing with a lot of confidence at this stage and looked dangerous every time they pushed forward.

And left-back Joseph Mills made it 3-0 on 72 minutes.

He made good yardage down the left before beating Fielding, who failed to hold on to his low shot, from the edge of the area.

Rovers took both Sharp and Stock off two minutes later, bringing on Matthew Kilgallon and Mark Wilson respectively.

Oster tested Fielding with a 25-yard free-kick on 79 minutes.

Rovers brought on Simon Gillett on 81 minutes - a significant moment for him as it was his first taste of league action for Doncaster since October.

Kilgallon had a close-range shot cleared off the line at the expense of a corner, from which Oster shot just wide from 20 yards.

Steven Davies grabbed a stoppage time consolation from Green’s cross.

It was a neat close range finish but it was too little too late for the home side.