Last-gasp winner settles final

Andy Gascoigne turns away after making it 3-3 for Sheffield
Andy Gascoigne turns away after making it 3-3 for Sheffield
Have your say

A terrific game worthy of local football’s blue riband cup final had a thrilling finish at Hillsborough last night.

Frickley Athletic and Sheffield FC should take a bow for both playing their part in a splendid Sheffield and Hallamshire FA Senior Cup Final which lived up to the old ‘seven goal thriller’ cliche - with a stoppage time winner.

Then there was still time for Sheffield to hit the bar and both sets of players deserved the ovation they got.

It got off to a flier when Sheffield took the lead after only 45 seconds, Matt Roney’s 18 yard volley getting a deflection on its way past Jamie Green who then made a fine save at Jack Muldoon’s feet.

Gavin Allott shot wide with a great chance to equalise before both sides went close - a Joel Purkiss free kick inches wide of Frickley’s goal and then Sheffield ‘keeper Liam Flynn superbly denying Jake Picton.

Purkiss had a shot deflected a whisker wide after a swift break from Muldoon but Frickley were threatening more and on 39 minutes levelled when Allott got across his marker to head home a teasing centre from Joe Wilcox.

Minutes later, Steve Woolley saved Sheffield when he cleared Pat Liburd’s header off the line.

Anything Sheffield could do in the first half then Frickley could do better because they scored an even faster goal at the start of the second half, Matty Bloor’s 20 yarder deflected past Flynn.

When sub Jamie Wooton struck a goal of real quality, from the corner of the area into the far top corner of the net, on 62 minutes to put Frickley 3-1 up it looked all over.

But Sheffield showed great spirit, got a lifeline on 80 minutes when Woolley slotted home a penalty after Shaq McKenzie had been brought down and with five minutes to go, Andy Gascoigne’s header from a corner looked to have forced extra-time.

But in the second minute of stoppage time Frickley snatched it. Wilcox’s header from a corner was superbly saved only for Wilcox to strike home the rebound - and there was still time for Muldoon to strike the Frickley bar.

n FRICKLEY ATH: Green; Wilcox, Jeffs, Liburd, Stratford; Ghaichem (Yates 87), Bloor, Barwick, Picton; Burgess (Wooton 48), Allott. Unused: Wood, Levers.

n SHEFFIELD FC: Glynn; Burrell, Hadfield, Cooksey, Woolley; Roney, Gallagher, Muldoon, Purkiss (Turner 60), Gregory (McKenzie 68). Unused: White, Al-Hakam, Bryan.

n Referee: Darren England (Barnsley).