Jack Steels the show

editorial image
Have your say

Jack Muldoon produced a man-of-the-match performance to help inspire Stocksbridge Park Steels to a shock 3-1 FA Cup win over Blue Square North Colwyn Bay at Bracken Moor.

The striker scored one and had a hand in both the other goals as Steels came from behind to march into the third qualifying round for the first time in eight seasons, whilst picking up £4,500 in prize money along the way taking their cup earnings so far to a useful £7,500.

The Welshmen took a 14th minute lead with an excellent 25-yard strike from midfield man Bradley Barnes with the goal coming just two minutes after Muldoon had hit the side netting from a tight angle after rounding the keeper.

Gary Marrow’s side were level just before the half hour mark. Brain Cusworth played a delightful pass into Muldoon who was in on goal and although keeper Chris Sanna made a good block, Chris Adam was on hand to coolly steer the rebound home from a tight angle.

Stocksbridge went in front on the stroke of half time with a peach of a goal from Muldoon. The striker picked up possession on the corner of the 18-yard box before firing a shot into the top corner.

The visitors enjoyed a good spell of possession at the start of the second half without really threatening as Richard Haigh and Brett Lovell at the centre of defence dealt with everything that came their way. Stocksbridge always carried the biggest threat going forwards and sealed the tie in the first minute of stoppage time. Muldoon again made a foray into the Welshmen’s box where he was brought down by towering defender Danny Meadowcroft for a penalty which substitute Mark Ward calmly converted.

It was however, a poor day for the regions teams as Staveley Miners Welfare, Matlock Town, Buxton all went out, while Frickley Athletic face a replay at Harrogate Town after a 1-1 draw against the Blues Square North side at Westfield Lane. Will Turl had given Harrogate a 12th minute lead but former Rotherham midfielder Grant Darley earned Frickley a second bite of the cherry.

Staveley’s fine cup run came to an end with a 3-0 defeat against Hyde. It saw Billy Fox’s side taste defeat for first time in 14 outings in all competitions.

Matlock Town were also beaten by higher league opponents as Hinckley Town triumphed 3-1 at Causeway Lane.

Buxton went out 2-1 at home against Evo-Stik Premier Division rivals Rushall Olympic, who won for the second time at the Silverlands this season.

Sheffield FC moved back to the top of the Evo-Stik Division One South after coming from behind to beat Coalville Town 3-1 .

In the Premier Division Marine completed a league double over Worksop Town with a 4-0 win at the Arriva Stadium.

Meanwhile, following the defeat, Worksop announced the appointment of former Stamford manager Simon Clark as their new-manager.