Handsworth at the double over struggling Brodsworth

Have your say

There was more frustration for Hallam new boss Julian Watts after heavy rain put paid to their home clash against Armthorpe Welfare with the Sandygate Road pitch waterlogged.

Since Watts appointment in early January Hallam have played just two games, at Farsley and Barton Town in the league cup. The club now face a hectic month with eight games during March of which six are at home.

Parkgate’s game against Hall Road Rangers was also postponed as was Worsbrough Bridge Athletic game against Teversal at Park Road.

The Steelmen could only sit and watch as Farsley thrashed struggling Arnold Town 8-0 to move 10-points clear at the top of table.

Dinnington Town remain in the bottom two after Thackley won 3-1 at Phoenix Park to condemn Town to a 10th successive league defeat and 15th without a win.

Dinnington, including four debutants signed from Sheffield University, should have taken a fourth minute lead but Liam Cartledge fired over. And seven minutes later Matt Mathers headed Thackley in front from a corner. A mix-up in the Town defence saw Matt Morgan double the visitors’ advantage on 18 minutes with Mathers adding the third just before the half hour.

Dinnington they pulled a goal back two minutes after the interval when debutant Grant Ashby finished off a good passing move but it proved to be just a consolation effort and news of relegation rivals Liversedge’s 1-0 home win over Maltby Main was another hammer blow to Town’s survival hopes.

The Miners will be bitterly disappointed after creating enough chances to have won the game comfortably. Rob Branagan might well have had a hat-trick, while Paul Lavender wasted a chance.

Division One leaders Staveley Miners Welfare came away from second-placed Yorkshire Amateur with a 2-2 draw to stay eight points clear with a game in hand and 12-ahead of Louth Town in third.

Staveley finally broke the deadlock on 57 minutes after the referee played a good advantage that allowed Jordan Eagers to get away down the right before crossing low for Damms to slot home his 25th goal of the season.

The lead lasted just seven minutes as Chris Hitchins headed in a corner to the near post. But Staveley regained the lead on 75 minutes with Chris Coy diving in bravely to get his head to the ball a Eagers effort had been blocked. The Miners conceded an equaliser six minutes from time when a cross was headed into his own net Michael Staley.

Handsworth completed a league double over rock bottom Brodsworth Welfare winning 4-0 at the Woodlands in a repeat scoreline of when the sides met at Oliver’s Mount earlier in the season. The first was an own goal five minutes before the break when Nathan Tomlinson deflected the ball past his own keeper.

Mick Godber doubled the advantage five minutes after the interval with a cracking 30 yard drive. Matt Outram made the points safe with the third on 72 minutes with substitute Scott Bates completing the scoring in stoppage time.

Substitute Curtis Roberts came off the bench to hit an 88th minute winner as AFC Emley came away with the spoils in a 2-1 victory at Askern Villa. The visitors had gone in front on four minutes when Dean Wharam found the top corner, which was cancelled out by a fine James Naylor 2-0 yard striker five minutes later. Fixtures -

Tuesday, Wilkinson Sword Trophy 3rd rnd: Rossington Main v Barton Town OB. Premier Division: Selby Tn v Dinnington.

Wednesday, Premier Div: Maltby Mn v Armthorpe Welf.

Division One: AFC Emley v Appleby Frodingham, Staveley MW v Handsworth.