Hamshaw debut but Steels slip up

editorial image
Have your say

IT was a miserable weekend for the two Sheffield teams with Stocksbridge Park Steels slipping up at Bracken Moor against Ashton United, whilst Club were beaten at fellow promotion hopefuls Stamford.

Steels went down to sixth defeat in eight at home as Ashton left with the spoils in a flattering 3-0 victory.

Stocksbridge gave a debut to former Owls winger Matt Hamshaw and could well have been in front inside the first two minutes when Nathan Joynes headed wide at the far post after Alex Callery had done well. Then Danny South saw a header drop onto the roof of the net.

Ashton’s best effort came from former Steels striker Scott Hogan with an angled drive that Xavier Parisi was equal to.

But the visitors broke the deadlock on 36 minutes when Ashley Mulholland’s low, driven cross went in off the leg of Brett Bowden-Lovell.

The visitors grabbed a controversial second on 58 minutes as Hogan was allowed to go on and beat Parisi despite sheepishly looking round and seemingly being a couple of yards offside.

Adam Todd, with a fine effort on the turn and Hamshaw with a superb 25 yard effort, brought the best out of the Ashton keeper before the visitors wrapped up the points through substitute Warren Beattie’s deft flick five minutes from time.

Sheffield FC’s five-match undefeated away league record went up in smoke with a comprehensive 4-1 defeat at Stamford in Division One South.

Club can have few complaints over the outcome although Chris Adam might well have given Sheffield an early boost after going round the keeper only for the defence to get back and clear the danger.

Stamford broke the deadlock on 15 minutes. A quickly taken free-kick was played in to Ricky Miller who turned past Jamie Hadfield to beat Liam Flynn with a clinical finish.

Vill Powell had a shot pushed round the post by Matt Finley.

However, the hosts doubled the lead seven minutes before the break with a splendid overhead kick from Greg Smith following a cross into the box.

Just past the hour Sheffield went 3-0 down when Miller volleyed home from the edge of the box after a corner had only been half cleared.

There was just a glimmer of hope as Sheffield pulled one back 10 minutes from time through a Matt Roney penalty after Ben Turner had been tripped. But Stamford put the result beyond any doubt in the 89th minute as Smith lashed home his second and the home side’s fourth.

Elsewhere, Frickley Athletic slumped to a seventh successive away defeat losing 1-0 at Buxton. Michael Towey nodded in the only goal of the game two minutes before the break from a rebound off the bar.

Worksop Town - fresh from their 8-1 drubbing of Blyth Spartans in midweek - had to settle for point, 1-1 at Chorley so the six match away winning streak came to a halt.

Andy Teague gave Chorley a 17th minute lead but Craig King’s rasping 30-yard drive three minutes later ensured the spoils were shared.

Goals from Massiah McDonald, Brad Grayson and Jamie Lukic header gave Matlock Town a 3-1 victory at high riding Marine.