Gutsy show by the Millers: Hull City 2-2 Rotherham United

Rotherham produced the kind of character needed to survive in the Championship after a storming second-half comeback salvaged a 2-2 draw against Hull at the KCOM Stadium.

Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 21:00 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th February 2019, 21:07 pm
Rotherham' s Jon Taylor equaliser. Picture Bruce Rollinson

The Millers appeared to be heading for a heavy defeat after first-half goals from Jarrod Bowen and Fraizer Campbell put the Tigers in control.

But the introductions of Anthony Forde and Jon Taylor had the desired effect as the visitors fought back strongly.

Stephen Kingsley leaps to avoid Zak Vyner as he slides in. Picture Bruce Rollinson

Taylor set up Forde for the first, via an error from David Marshall, before equalising when his volley deflected in in the 55th minute.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Rotherham are still without an away win in the second tier for 41 matches, but will be buoyed by moving two points clear of the relegation zone.

Defender Clark Robertson, passed fit following an ankle injury, had headed a long Joe Mattock free-kick well wide for Rotherham in the opening minute.

But the Millers’ chances of giving their fans something to cheer about appeared to go up in smoke a minute later.

Frazier Campbell score's the Tigers second goal.

A delightful through ball from Evandro pierced the visiting defence, allowing Bowen time and space to fire right-footed across Marek Rodak and into the far corner.

Hull were oozing confidence and a deserved second goal arrived in the 23rd minute through Campbell, who converted Kamil Grosicki’s cross from close range.

Tigers goalkeeper Marshall had to be alert to parry a Richie Towell snapshot, but normal service resumed soon after for the hosts. 

Rodak was forced to scramble back to claw out a Grosicki cross that caught him of guard before Jackson Irvine curled an ambitious effort from distance over the top.

Rotherham boss Paul Warne tried to turn the tide in the 38th minute, replacing Jerry Yates with Forde, and Will Vaulks almost gave him an instant response.

The midfielder stung the palms of Marshall with a 25-yard piledriver to give the Millers, second best in all aspects, some encouragement.

Warne also introduced Taylor and his changes soon paid off as his side scored twice in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

Having advanced down the right wing, Taylor delivered a cross that Marshall spilled into the path of Forde, who tapped into the empty net in the 48th minute.

Then, seven minutes later, Marshall could nothing to keep out a Taylor shot that took a huge deflection off Robbie McKenzie and nestled in the bottom corner.

Suddenly, Rotherham were in control and Marshall was forced to tip over headers from Robertson and Michael Ihiekwe.

Hull were rattled, incensing the home fans with their sloppy play, although Grosicki’s volley almost squirmed through Rodak’s hands.

Vaulks scuffed a shot wide late on for Rotherham while Irvine headed off target unmarked for Hull.