Owls: Gary Madine in the action this afternoon against Hartlepool.
Owls: Gary Madine in the action this afternoon against Hartlepool.
Have your say

A LATE equaliser robbed the Owls of a deserved victory after goals from Jermaine Johnson and Gary Madine.

Hartlepool were in trouble towards the end of the first half in which the Owls had made most of the chances, O’Grady passed the ball through to Madine, who was brought down by Hartley as he tried to go down the middle.

There were defenders either side of Hartley so the question centred on whether or not he was the last man. With Owls players and fans hoping for a red card, the referee consulted one of his assistants before showing Hartley a yellow.

Less than two minutes in to the half, the Owls were once more to regret the decision not to send off Hartley. From a right side corner by Horwood in to the middle, Hartley powered in a header that ended up in the roof of the net, though Weaver got a hand to it.

The Owls now faced a test of nerve, finding themselves behind in a game were they had created enough chances to be comfortably in front.

Megson took off Mike Jones who had been disappointing, sent on Ryan Lowe and changed to a 4-3-3 formation with Jermaine Johnson moving to the right side of midfield. It was from this position that substitute Jermaine Johnson scored one of his specials in the 58th minute.

Picking up possession near the half way line, he showed his electric pace in a run down the right, beating first one opponent, then a second from where he smacked a shot in to the far bottom corner.

The visitors escaped yet again when Lowe saw his close range shot stopped by Flinder but the lead that Wednesday had deserved all afternoon arrived in the 75ht minute.

O’Grady challenged for the ball and when it came to Madine, he slammed home a left foot shot from 12 yards out for his 12th goal of the season.

Wednesday could not afford to be too cavalier but were still looking good for a win and perhaps another goal but in the 87th minute, Hartlepool equalised against the run of play with a goalout of the blue.

Sweeney hooked an ambitious effort on the volley from 25 yards out and the ball sailed over Weaver and into the net.