FT Owls: Sheffield Wednesday 1 Burnley 2

editorial image
Have your say

Wednesday fans perhaps would have preferred their team to be kicking towards the Kop in the second half today.

Seeing the team mount waves of attacks at that end has been something of a Hillsborough tradition.

But the Kop folk had a close-up view when the Owls might have scored two early goals.

Antonio, playing up front today, with Maghoma on the right wing, used his strength to get in behind the defence on the right; his cross brought a challenge from Nuhiu and a right-foot shot from the left-footed Helan, whose effort was mis-hit wide.

Maghoma, too, missed the target when he connected at the near post from another right-wing ball by Antonio.

Clarets midfielder Marney blasted the ball way over the bar with a free volley from around 16 yards.

Kirkland was in top form at QPR last week and he pulled off another important save today, turning a low drive from Vokes for a corner, the chance having come via a deflection to the striker.

It was Heaton’s turn to shine when he pushed a 30-yard free kick from Maghoma around the post after a forward surge by Semedo brought the foul.

It was a see-saw contest with both sides trying to be adventurous yet lacking precision.

An Antonio cross found Prutton arriving late on the far side of the box to shoot just wide.

Maghoma, again supplied by Antonio, pulled a teasing low ball swiftly across the area but left back Lafferty, facing his own goal, managed to touch the ball away for a corner as home fans hoped for it to find the net.

The net was hit in the 33rd minute - Wednesday’s that is. Right-winger Wallace got in behind Floro to deliver a good cross and INGS rose to head his third goal in the first three games - seven in eight games, counting pre-season friendlies.

Five minutes later Owls fans were stunned by a second, similar goal: another right-wing cross, another header in the middle, and this one by VOKES dropped inside Kirkland’s left-hand post.

This was a devastating little spell for Wednesday after the contest had been close, and they had it all to do now. Inevitably there were some boos at half time.

Floro was replaced by Maguire at half time - with both goals having come from the left back’s side of the pitch.

Helan moved to full back, Maghoma to the left wing, Antonio to the right, and Maguire went up front.

The sub forward forced a block from Heaton with an angled drive and in the ensuing scramble Antonio and Palmer had shots charged down.

Nuhiu, rarely involved so far, looked as if he was going to score with a good, glancing header from a Maghoma cross but after the ball seemed destined for the far corner it passed just wide, in the 52nd minute.

Wednesday had taken the game to Burnley in this half, as they had to do. However, they had a close call when Wallace rifled a low effort and it hit the side netting, with Kirkland probably unsighted by a crowd of players.

Semedo could have had a chance with a header from a Palmer cross had not the head of the similarly unmarked Nuhiu not nicked the ball away from him.

A lovely cross by Semedo forced a double chance: Nuhiu’s close-range header was stopped at the foot of the post by Heaton, and the keeper blocked Antonio’s point-blank follow-up.

Wednesday were applying pressure in this half and playing some quality balls into the box - none better than the one that helped to put them back in the game.

Palmer supplied it, and PRUTTON was running into space at the near post to bullet home a header, in the 71st minute.

That really got the crowd going.

The Owls’ dominance in the second half had meant hardly any threats from Burnley - and a real prospect that this fightback might be rewarded with a deserved point, if not three.

Out came the Clarets, however, to cause a double scare: Vokes did very well to get in a powerful near-post shot to which Kirkland was alert, and from the corner sub Edgar was left unmarked as he headed wide.

With Madine mysteriously absent, Lavery was the next forward to come as a sub, to the right flank, with Maghoma taken off and Antonio playing on the left.

The addition of six minutes - though fewer than that were actually played - reflected the number of stoppages and fouls. But the Owls were unable to force last-gasp escape from defeat, even with Kirkland going up for a corner.