FOOTBALL: Steels ko but Frickley through with first win of season

editorial image
Have your say

Stocksbridge Park Steels crashed out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle losing 3-0 against Evo-Stik Premier Division rivals and leaders Marine 3-0 at Bracken Moor.

It brought a sixth defeat in seven outings for Steels, while for Marine it extended their unbeaten start to seven games, although it was their first win in the FA Cup for eight years.

It was a pretty even first half with Michael Fish seeing an early chance blocked by the keeper as he raced into the box, while Scott Hogan flashed a shot just wide of the far post after cutting inside.

Stocksbridge keeper Aaron Pratt, who was making his debut, did well to push away an Andy Fowler drive that took a wicked deflection.

Carl Noon though should have given the visitors the lead on the stroke of half-time only to miss-kick from a couple of yards in front of an open goal.

However, Marine nudged ahead on 67 minutes when Fowler cut inside to hit superb dipping shot from just outside the area into the far corner. Three minutes later the visitors had a firm grip on the game as Thomas Moore smashed home a penalty to double the lead.

It got worse for Stocksbridge with 10 minutes remaining when substitute Mark Whitehouse was sent-off following a late challenge before Marine grabbed a third on 88 minutes, Liam Dawson with a low strike from just inside the area.

Frickley Athletic earned their first win of the season at the seventh time of asking with a hard fought 2-0 victory at Worksop Town.

Both goals came in a four minute spell early in the second half. Inderjeet Aujia broke the deadlock on 57 minutes steering the ball home from eight yards after a fine run and cross from Gavin Allott. And it was Allot that grabbed the all important second just past the hour after another fine run took home past Adie Hawes before cutting inside and unleashing a firm strike into the far corner.

The Tigers piled on the pressure particularly in the last 15 minutes when they twice went close. The Blues keeper Tom Woodhead made a flying save to keep out Bruno Holden’s 35-yard rocket with Holden then heading against the post from the resultant corner, while Massiah McDonald headed another chance wide but Frickley hung on to inflict Worksop’s first home defeat in four.

Elsewhere, Baris NCEL Premier Division side Maltby Main saw their cup run come to an end with an 8-1 drubbing at Evo Stik League One Curzon Ashton.

The Miners had already knocked out Cheadle Town and Chadderton in the previous two rounds. But they were no match for the home side despite Craig Gladwin hitting his sixth goal of the season on nine minutes to cancel out Curzon’s opener three minutes earlier but it proved to be a mere consolation effort.

Retford United also went out to Evo-Stik opponents beaten 2-1 at home by New Mills.

Steve Moor with two goals either side of the interval put the visitors in the driving seat. The Badgers though made a game of it when Steve Phillips pulled one back on 67 minutes to leave the Derbyshire side hanging on.

Matlock Town and Belper must try again after a 2-2 stalemate at Causeway Lane where all the goals came in the first half.

Joe Leesley volleyed the Gladiators in front after just six minutes but Belper hit back to lead 2-1on 17 minutes through Simon Harrison and Aaron Pride.

Substitute Shaun Tuton, on for the injured Leesley pounced for the equaliser a minute before the break.

Two second half penalties both converted by Kyle Nix edged Buxton through 2-1 at Quorn despite the hosts making life uncomfortable by pulling one back with 19 minutes remaining.