FOOTBALL: Sky Blues sack boss Thorn

editorial image
Have your say

COVENTRY City sacked manager Andy Thorn yesterday afternoon and have placed Richard Shaw and Lee Carsley in temporary charge of the club.

The Sky Blues, relegated to npower League One in May, have drawn their first three games since beginning life in the third tier for the first time since 1964.

Thorn, 45, replaced Aidy Boothroyd in April 2011 following a stint as caretaker. The club will now begin their search for their 12th manager since relegation from the Premier League in 2000.

Chief executive Tim Fisher told the club’s official website: “We have not taken this decision lightly. We recognised that last season there were off-the-field matters that affected team affairs and felt it was right and proper to give Andy the chance to put that right over the course of the summer and the start of the season.

“We do not feel that has happened. Of course, the fact that we have surrendered the lead in the first three league games has not helped, but there are several other factors in this decision - not just three disappointing results.”

Thorn, a member of Wimbledon’s FA Cup-winning side in 1988, had seen his side surrender leads in all three of their league games this season against Yeovil, Sheffield United and Bury.

In complete contrast, Yeovil sit top of the League One table after they secured their best-ever start to a season with a 4-0 win at Scunthorpe.

Although not really tested by the pointless Iron, Gary Johnson`s men were more than impressive, with Keanu Marsh-Brown setting them on their way before the break.

Reuben Reid made it 2-0 not long after it, before substitute Gozie Ugwu scored a late brace.

Tranmere are second, despite surrendering their perfect record with a 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury.

Next are Swindon, who beat the MK Dons - who had Dean Lewington sent off - 1-0 thanks to Matt Ritchie`s goal, while Stevenage are fourth after Lucas Akins` penalty earned them a 1-0 win at Oldham.

Andy Butler`s 80th-minute strike helped Walsall leave Notts County - previously with a 100% record - with a 1-0 win,

Bournemouth and Preston both remain without a win after a bad-tempered 1-1 draw at Dean Court.

Harry Arter was sent off for the home side inside 27 minutes, but Tommy Elphick still gave them the lead before Akpo Sodje equalised.

Cash-strapped Portsmouth took on the longest journey in the division as they headed to Carlisle, and were sent back on their way with a 4-2 defeat to reflect on.

Brentford cruised to a 5-1 success at home to Crewe.