FOOTBALL: Hallam take full advantage

editorial image
Have your say

Hallam took the bragging rights in the local derby at Dinnington Town coming away with the spoils in a 4-1 victory in Division One.

Dinnington were not helped by an injury to goalkeeper Luke Hands leaving central defender Greg Ramsden having to take over in goal.

Hands picked up the injury as Hallam took the lead on the half-hour Ben Kistell tapping in from a cross by Liam Morris who, on his return from injury, doubled the lead five minutes later after his initial effort had come back off the bar

Substitute Aaron Moxam added a third on his return to the club from Teversal, turning in a James Cook cross.

Hallam sealed the points on 80 minutes, Conor Sellers knocking in the loose ball after stand-in keeper Ramsden made a good save from Khaled Alali’s firm shot. Dinnington’s consolation was two minutes later, sub Steve Jefferies converting a Martin Wade cross.

Worsbrough Bridge Athletic are up to third in Division One after coming from behind at the break to win 3-1 at Appleby Frodingham with goals from Adam Podmore, Liam McFadyen and Chris White.

Rossington Main beat bottom side Selby Town to end a run of four league defeats on the trot. Main went ahead four minutes before the break, a Jonathan Mirfin cross provoking an own goal from Chris Dickman who was under no pressure.

Rossington doubled their lead on 48 minutes when a cross from Shaun Pendleton was finished emphatically by Nathan Fraser from 12 yards.

Athersley Rec remain four points clear at the top despite being held 4-4 at home by promotion rivals Albion Sports. Jamie Sutton, Matt Thompson and a Lee Bennett brace extended Athersley’s run to just one defeat in the last 11 league outings.

Maltby Main became the first team to take a point off the Premier Division leaders Bridlington Town in 13 games following a 1-1 draw at Muglet Lane.

Mike Cookson’s rising shot gave Maltby a 19th minute lead but Bridlington levelled through a contentious 36th minute penalty from Carl Stewart. Unlucky Maltby saw Adam Houghton twice rattle the woodwork.

Worksop Parramore slipped to third after a 2-2 home draw against Barton Town OB.

Lee Holmes and Scott Bates were on target for Parramore who finished with 10 men after having Andy Wood sent off.

In the FA Vase, Parkgate booked a third round spot with a 4-2 victory over Northern League side Esh Winning after twice coming from behind at Green Lane.

Lee Hill’s free-kick and Craig Fletcher twice cancelled out Ian Ward efforts as the sides went in level 2-2 at the break.

Fletcher put the Steelmen in front for the first time on 67 minutes before Sam Smith sealed the tie with the fourth seven minutes later.

Last season’s beaten semi-finalists Staveley MW bowed out 3-1 at home after extra-time to NCEL rivals Brighouse Town after Jordan Eagers’ 75th minute effort had extended the tie.

AFC Emley beat Bottesford Town where Brad Riley hit the winning goal two minutes from time.

However Armthorpe Welfare went out 4-2 at Barnoldswick Town where Joe Lumsden with a penalty and Richard Smith had kept the visitors in contention until the 86th minute.

TUESDAY - League Cup 2nd Round: Athersley Recreation v Pontefract Collieries.

Premier Division: Bridlington Town v Armthorpe Welfare, Parkgate v Nostell MW.

WEDNESDAY - Lge Cup 2nd round: Staveley MW v Hall Road.