Final Hillsborough memorial service is postponed due to coronavirus pandemic

The final Hillsborough memorial service, which was due to take place at Anfield on today (April 15), has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Wednesday, 15th April 2020, 4:49 pm

The Hillsborough Family Support Group was due to hold its last service at the home of Liverpool, 31 years since the disaster at the side's FA Cup semi-final in 1989.

But the service - in memory of the 96 supporters who died in the match against Nottingham Forest - has been postponed due to coronavirus.

Players and staff will hold a minute's silence and flags will be flown at half-mast.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Teams stand for a minute's silence to commemorate the 30th anniversary last year of the Hillsborough disaster before the Premier League match at Anfield, Liverpool. The memorial this year has been cancelled due to coronavirus. Peter Byrne/PA Wire.

Margaret Aspinall, chairwoman of the group, said the service was due to be the last of its type as the families would remember their loved ones "in their own way" on future anniversaries.

She said: "In light of recent events, a decision was made collectively by the families to postpone our final memorial service at Anfield.

"We wish to keep as many people safe as possible and we believe this is the right approach.

"On behalf of the HFSG, I would like to thank everyone for their understanding in this matter."

Fresh inquests held in 2016 found the 96 men, women and children were unlawfully killed and found that blunders by South Yorkshire's police and ambulance services "caused or contributed to" their deaths, and exonerated Liverpool fans of wrongdoing.

It was announced in February that the families of the victims had decided to hold a last service after former police match commander David Duckenfield was cleared of gross negligence manslaughter following a retrial in November.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to The Star website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor