FA Trophy exit for Sheffield FC

Sheffield FC crashed out of the FA Trophy at the first hurdle losing to a late goal at Clitheroe.

Sunday, 29th September 2019, 2:52 pm
Updated Monday, 30th September 2019, 10:30 am

Club made a good start at Clitheroe and looked on their way to the next round when Lee Cooksey reacted to quickly to nod home on 34 minutes after his initial header had been blocked to them 1-0 up.

The home side though turned the tie on its head in the second half with Oscar O’Neil firing home the leveller after a cross had been knocked down.

With a replay beckoning Sheffield were hit with a sucker punch in stoppage time as Connor Gaul fired past Jonathan Hedge leaving Gavin Smith’s side with no time to respond.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Stocksbridge Park Steels suffered a first away league defeat of the season, going down to a solitary early goal at Belper Town

The goal that proved decisive arrived after just two minutes with Danny Gordon tapping in a rebound after a header had come back off the bar.

And that was enough as the hosts stretched their unbeaten start to 13 games in all competitions.

On-form Hallam completed a marvelous week with a third win in eight days in a game that had a feel of deja vu about it.

A little over a week ago the Countrymen romped to a 5-0 win against Harrogate RA with Jordan Turner hitting four of the goals.

Fast-forward, with a 3-0 win at Hall Road Rangers sandwiched in-between, and to Brigg Town on Saturday and Hallam were at it again, hitting five goals without reply with Turner once more finding the net four times.

James Leverton had to make a wonderful save inside the first five minutes, pushing a shot onto the crossbar to prevent Brigg taking an early lead.

However, it was Hallam that made the breakthrough on 23 minutes with a peach of a goal as Micah Bishop curled in a brilliant free-kick off the underside of the bar.

Five minutes later Turner had his first of the afternoon, getting on the end of Bishop’s through ball to double the lead.

It was 3-0 on 38 minutes with Turner again racing onto a through pass, this time from Sam Fewkes, to score with a well-placed shot into the bottom corner.

Just three minutes later Turner had completed his hat-trick after nicking the ball off a defender to give Hallam a 4-0 lead and effectively put the game beyond the home side.

The fifth arrived just before the hour, Sam Smith doing the spade work with a superb cross to the far post where Turner brought the ball down before spinning to fire into the bottom corner.

It could had been more with Jason Stokes and Reece Treasure both denied by smart saves from the Brigg keeper as Hallam climbed to eighth in the Toolstation NCEL Division One.