England star watches on as Chesterfield cruise to friendly win at Gainsborough

Trialist Liam McAlinden got on the scoresheet in Chesterfield's comfortable 4-0 win at Gainsborough Trinity.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 17th July 2018, 10:31 pm
Updated Tuesday, 17th July 2018, 10:32 pm
Laurence Maguire heading at goal with brother Joe (six, green) defending for Gainsborough (Pic: www.offthebenchmedia.com)
Laurence Maguire heading at goal with brother Joe (six, green) defending for Gainsborough (Pic: www.offthebenchmedia.com)

England World Cup star Harry Maguire was in attendance to watch his brothers Laurence and Joe in action for the Spireites and the Holy Blues respectively.

It wasn’t much of a spectacle for anyone on the Northolme in the first half, despite Gozie Ugwu’s goal, but things livened after the break as Town took full control through McAlinden, Zavon Hines and Laurence Maguire.

Martin Allen used the game as an opportunity to take a further look at McAlinden and fellow trialists Lewis Walker and Sam Muggleton, with new signing Lee Shaw getting a 30 minute run out in the second half.

There wasn’t much in the way of goalmouth action in the initial stages, Chesterfield looking strong at the back and controlling the game without really hurting the hosts.

George Smith had the first effort, shooting over the top from distance after Robbie Weir started an attack with a nice ball out of defence.

Trinity began to enjoy a little spell of pressure with a couple of deep balls into the box that had to be dealt with by Shwan Jalal and his defenders, before Town broke out and trialist Liam McAlinden drew the game’s first save from Jon Stewart.

At the other end Jalal got down well to keep out Ashley Worsfold’s low drive.

The game was crying out for a bit of guile or trickery, neither side able to break the other down until Town took the lead with a spot of fortune.

Jerome Binnom-Williams, back on the pitch after receiving treatment for a knock, fired a shot from 35 yards that hit Gozie Ugwu, allowing the striker to turn and slot home past Stewart.

The goal opened things up for Town, Robbie Weir getting into a good position in the box but kicking fresh air, before a good cross from the right was powered just wide by the head of Binnom-Williams.

And with the Spireites firmly on top, Ugwu should have doubled his tally, brushing off the last defender to go clean through only to look for a pass instead of a shot, Trinity clearing.

Chesterfield came flying out of the blocks for the second half, taking just 12 seconds to score.

George Smith’s wicked cross from the left was guided into the bottom corner by McAlinden’s deft header.

With just over half an hour left Lee Shaw made his first appearance in a Town shirt, he and Lewis Walker replacing Ugwu and McALinden up front for the visitors.

Laurence Maguire completed the scoring on 83 minutes, fending off brother Joe to run to the back post and thump a header past Stewart.

Trinity: Stewart, Hough (Kay 61), Gordon, Russell (Lawman 79), Evans, Maguire, Tuohy (Orlando-Young 58), King, Worsfold (Wilson 67), Reeves, Hannah (Byrne 58). Subs: Windass, Cruz, Slater.

Chesterfield: Jalal (Anyon 64), Wedgbury, Binnom-Williams (Trialist 70), Evans (Nelson 70), Maguire, Weir, Weston, Carter, Smith (Hines 70), Ugwu (Trialist 58), Trialist (Shaw 58).

Goalscorers: Ugwu 33, McAlinden 46, Hines 76, Maguire 83