STEVE HOSSACK: Millers boss Liddell dreamed of being a sports journalist

Flashback: Steve Hossack with John Helm and Andy Liddell filming for Yorkshire Tonight in 1997.
Flashback: Steve Hossack with John Helm and Andy Liddell filming for Yorkshire Tonight in 1997.
Have your say

TUESDAY: Rotherham United boss Ronnie Moore became the latest manager to lose his job following the 5-0 defeat at Chesterfield the previous Friday.

Andy Liddell was appointed caretaker boss until the end of the season and it gives him a great chance to break into management at a young age.

I remember Andy from a Yorkshire Television series a few years ago.

YTV picked out six well-known celebrities, one of whom was Liddell, and asked them what job they would liked to have done had they not been in their current profession.

The idea then was to give them a taste of that job.

Andy said that he would have fancied being a sports journalist, so Calendar’s John Helm got in touch with me and asked if I would take part in the six-week series.

As John is one of the most likeable people in the profession, I readily agreed to help out.

Filming was done at Belle Vue on a couple of match days and I had to meet up with Andy in the press box on camera and give him a few pointers on how to write a football report and give him guidance on style and content during the game.

Part of the arrangement between YTV and The Star was for Andy’s report - which wasn’t bad for a first attempt - to appear in the paper a few days later along with my thoughts.

Andy was scheduled to appear on Calendar a week or so later to discuss the experience and comment on my comments, but he got stuck in traffic in Leeds and failed to make it to the studio in time.

SATURDAY: I was back at work (albeit half a day) following a couple of days off, covering Doncaster Knights’ crucial Championship Promotion Play-Off Pool B game against Bedford at Castle Park.

I had managed to fit in nine holes of golf earlier in the day but didn’t have time to get changed due to the traffic.

I soon discovered what was warm enough for the golf course wasn’t warm enough for sitting around reporting on a rugby match.

Mind you, I wasn’t the only journalist to be frozen for most of the game with the marked drop in temperature from the previous day catching several people out.

The game itself was a pretty tight affair in the first half - unusually so for Doncaster-Bedford encounters - and it was only 3-3 at the break.

Knights, who had been the better team in the first 40 minutes, took an early lead against the second favourites behind Worcester, after the break.

But the Blues, who had done the double over Knights in the league, hit back to lead 10-6.

Knights hit back with a brace a tries - the second being an absolute cracker - and had Tristram Roberts converted just one it would have left the Blues, who grabbed a 17-16 victory with a late converted try. needing to score twice and I couldn’t see them doing that.

Knights still aren’t out of it but the odds are now stacked against them.

There was mixed news on the international front, though I didn’t see any of the action (except a couple of minutes or so of the cricket at Castle Park) with England beating Wales more comfortably than the 2-0 scoreline would probably suggest in their Euro 2012 qualifier in Cardiff.

Who knows, Wales’ defeat might open the door for Rovers’ skipper Brian Stock.

Whilst the size of England’s ten-wicket defeat by Sri Lanka in their World Cup quarter-final defeat might have come as something of a surprise, it has been obvious for some time that a lot of players have been running on empty following their exploits in Australia.

SUNDAY: The Formula One season finally got under way in Melbourne but I’m afraid it has always been a sport which has had little appeal for me due to the lack of over-taking.

The Dons chalked up a third successive Championship One win in as many games with a 26-16 victory over a big Workington side at the Keepmoat Stadium.

It was a victory against the odds.

Already without six players, the Dons picked up four injuries in the first half - though two were able to come back on in the second half - and another early in the second.

It says much about the Dons’ character and team spirit that they were still able to win so comfortably and boss Tony Miller was rightly proud of his side.

It is early days yet, and injuries can upset the best laid plans as Doncaster Rovers have found to their cost this year. But I honestly believe that the Dons are the real deal this season and worthy of much greater support.

Doncaster Rovers Belles, who last won the WFA Cup back in the 1993-94 season, suffered a 3-0 quarter-final defeat against Liverpool on a bumpy pitch at Skelmersdale.

Although disappointed, Belles boss John Buckley had no complaints about the result when I spoke to him after the game.

Belles will get an early chance to extract their revenge as the Reds are one of the first sides to visit the Keepmoat Stadium in the new WFA Super League which kicks off next month.