Slobbing along in boots three sizes too big

Have your say

WHAT a week it has been for me.

After the Trax FM Doncaster Rovers show last week Thursday night, I went along to watch the Bassetlaw derby between Worksop Town and Retford United.

The referee was injured and at half time an appeal went out for a substitute linesman, just as I was walking past the tannoy box.

Being a qualified referee I volunteered and managed to fit into some kit, and borrow some size 10 boots (I only take a size seven) and ran the line for the majority of the second-half, which included 13 minutes stoppage time. What a buzz that was!

I didn’t get much stick either and I got of two bags of crisps for doing the job.

Also I am now enrolled on the Doncaster Rovers Inca Trek walk in Peru from June 5-15 which aims to raise funds for the NSPCC Childline Fund.

It is a walk of 62 miles over dfour and a half days at an altitude of between 10-14,000 feet. I’m a glutton for punishment, but it is a worthy cause and I’m now seeking sponsors.

On Friday, the Supporters Club’s race night at the Toad Brewery raised £700 for the charity. Thanks to all those supporters who came along plus Rovers’ chairman John Ryan, media manager Steve Uttley, kit manager Dave Richards, Belles’ boss John Buckley, Eric Randerson and The Star’s Steve Hossack

The next day QPR rolled into town well clear at the top of the Championship.

They started off like a house on fire, hitting the bar, and then George Friend made a timely block. But the longer the half went on, the stronger the Rovers became, Franck Moussa hit the foot of the post and then forced Paddy Kenny to tip a goal-bound header over the bar.

But not before the majority of the crowd thought Stocky had scored - his shot hitting the back stanchion. It was a shame half time came when it did as we were on top of our game.

But the Rs brought us back down to earth, scoring in the opening two minutes of the second half.

Rovers rarely troubled Kenny for the rest of the half, as Rangers went home with three more points.

But we did not roll over and die, and QPR manager Neil Warnock was rich in his praise of us.

Before the match I had a phone call from Steve Uttley asking if I could help him out as Jonathan, the tannoy man, had lost his voice, and normal Rovers Player commentator Chris Mortley had stepped into the breach.

So I ended up having to commentate alongside local journalist Paul Goodwin on all the 90 odd minutes, and not having done any preparation work on QPR.

What made it worse was that you could not make out who was who, as their red numbers clashed with the blue and white hoops, so Caspa Gorkss never got a mention in the first half, as I could not work out which one he was.

On Tuesday night I went to see Retford again. It was nice to see ex-Rover Matty Caudwell and another former Belle Vue favourite, Tristam Whitman. He is the leading scorer for Hucknall this season but was only on the bench.

He told me of all the good times at Rovers, especially the goal against Chester City in the Conference play-offs, and how he was offered a contract but turned it down, as he did not see eye to eye with manager Dave Penney, but now wishes he had stayed.

He has taken some of his coaching badges and would eventually like to go in to management or football coaching.

With no game this weekend, hopefully we will get some of the injured players fit again in time for the clash against Bristol City at Ashton Gate tomorrow week.

I will be one of 103 Rovers’ fans off to Weston Super Mare for the weekend of that game.

Coaches to Bristol City (weekend trip) depart Retford 8.00 and pick up en-route at Rossington 8.25, Infirmary 8.45 and Keepmoat 9.00.

Normal buses for the day trip leave Harworth 8.05 and pick up at, Rossington 8.15, Hare and Tortoise (Rosso side) 8.20, Infirmary 8.30 and Keepmoat 8.45. Please book asap for the day trip.