Result: Doncaster Rovers 2 Crewe Alexandra 1 - Wellens crowns Rovers comeback as Dickov’s men move into play-off places

Kyle Bennett lets fly past Oliver Turton after Rovers fell behind. Photo: Steve Uttley
Kyle Bennett lets fly past Oliver Turton after Rovers fell behind. Photo: Steve Uttley
Have your say

Doncaster Rovers moved into the League One play-offs with a 2-1 home win over Crewe after trailing at half-time.

Rovers built on the recent 5-0 and 3-0 wins with goals by Dean Furman and the last-minute winner by Richie Wellens.

Manager Paul Dickov made just one enforced change to his side from that which beat Yeovil Town on Saturday.

Harry Forrester picked up a knock and was replaced by Uche Ikpeazu.

But is was an unhappy start for Rovers as the visitors took an eighth-minute lead.

George Ray scored with a right-footed shot after Alan Tate set up the chance.

Rovers battled hard for an equaliser, Jamie McCombe having a shot saved, Kyle Bennett seeing a shot blocked and a Uche Ikpeazu effort being kept out by the visiting keeper in the bottom corner.

Bennett shot wide for Rovers before Crewe threatened twice, Ajose and Arber having shots saved.

Rovers came again and a Keegan effort was blocked before Furman was wide with a left-footer.

Tyson was then just wide with another left foot shot.

Rovers were back level in the 62nd minute, Dean Furman scoring from close range after Ikpeazu created the chance.

Rovers went for the winner with Wellens having a shot saved before Bennett was off target.

Crewe introduced Valle and Nolan for Ajose and Jones while Dickov introduced Curtis Main, who was quickly into action having a shot saved.

Bennett was next to go off to be replaced by Abdul Razak.

Rovers took the lead in the last minute of normal time with a cracking goal, Wellens scoring from outside the area after being set up by Reece Wabara.

Rovers: Bywater, Stevens, Wabara, Butler, McCombe, Keegan, Wellens, Furman, Bennett, Tyson, Ikpeazu. Subs: Marosi, McCullough, Robinson, Main, Razak, Whitehouse, Evina.

Crewe: Garratt, Davis, Tate, Ray, Leigh, Grant, Ness, Jones, Turton, Haber, Ajose.

Referee: Darren Sheldrake.

Att: 6,164