Report: Doncaster Rovers 3 Crewe Alexandra 2

Doncaster Rovers scored twice in stoppage time to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in a pre-Christmas cracker at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Saturday, 12th December 2015, 5:44 pm
Andy Williams celebrates his last gasp winner.

Callum Saunders - son of former Rovers boss Dean Saunders - thought he had won all three points for Crewe when he rounded off a fine team goal in the 90th minute to put his side 2-1 up.

But super sub Cameron Stewart curled home a delightful free kick before Andy Williams won it with a cool finish deep into stoppage time.

Rovers players celebrate their dramatic win against Crewe. Photos: Andrew Roe

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The visitors had gone ahead against the run of play in the first half through Marcus Haber before Conor Grant scored his third goal in two games to equalise.

Victory extended Rovers’ latest unbeaten run to four games and saw them move level on points with 12th placed Sheffield United.

Rovers exuded confidence and control during the first quarter but were unable to make it count.

Grant flashed an effort just wide from distance and Williams saw his low shot saved by Ben Garratt following a short corner routine.

Crewe went ahead totally against the run of play on 26 minutes following their first significant foray forward.

Ryan Colclough probed on the edge of the area before cleverly playing in Adam King who crossed for Haber to tap home from two yards out.

Nathan Tyson missed a gilt-edged chance to level immediately when he inexplicably failed to keep his close range effort down following James Coppinger’s cross.

But Rovers were quickly on level terms when another Coppinger cross was deflected perfectly into the path of Grant to volley home.

As the half ended in entertaining fashion, the home side had to be grateful to Thorsten Stuckmann for keeping them on level terms.

First the German denied Colclough and then Ryan Lowe with a double save before another full length stop kept out King’s effort from the angle of the box.

Grant fizzed a shot just wide soon after the re-start but it was Crewe, who had visibly gained in confidence following their goal, that began the period slightly better.

In horrendous weather conditions, the game became scrappier, disjointed and more clear cut chances began to dry up.

Stewart almost made the difference when his pinpoint cross from the right picked out Williams but the striker could not direct his header on target.

Grant then hit a rasping drive from range just over the bar but there was no sign of the drama still to come.

Some fine work on the ball from Colclough was the precursor to a sweeping Crewe move that saw Saunders score his first ever senior goal, tapping home Oliver Turton’s cross, to seemingly steal the points.

However, a Rovers side that also came from behind to beat Cambridge United in the FA Cup last weekend had other ideas.

Firstly Stewart curled home a delightful free kick from 25 yards to level matters.

And with the last attack of the game, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair tossed the ball forward and it eventually fell for Williams who curled it past Garratt to spark scenes of wild celebration at the Keepmoat.

Rovers: Stuckmann, Lund (Stewart 71), Alcock, Butler, Taylor-Sinclair, Evina, Grant, Coppinger, Middleton, Tyson, Williams. Subs not used: Marosi, McCullough, Keegan, Whitehouse, Chaplow, Main.

Crewe: Garratt, Turton, Ajayi, Nugent, Guthrie, Jones, Bingham, Colclough, King (Inman 70), Haber, Lowe (Saunders 85). Subs not used: Cooper, Fox, Baillie, Ng, Nizic.

Attendance: 5,342