MATCH REPORT: Norwich City 1 Doncaster Rovers 0

Matchwinner: Alexander Tettey scores despite the efforts of two Doncaster Rovers defenders .'              Picture: Chris Radburn/PA
Matchwinner: Alexander Tettey scores despite the efforts of two Doncaster Rovers defenders .' Picture: Chris Radburn/PA
Have your say

DONCASTER Rovers are still looking for their first-ever win at Carrow Road after last night’s Capital One Cup third round defeat against Norwich City.

But although they were on the back foot for long periods they had the chances to embarrass the struggling Premier League side.

Rovers boss Dean Saunders rung the changes in attack, pairing Robbie Blake, whose only previous start since joining the club in the summer was in the last round against Hull City, with Iain Hume.

Left-back James Husband took over from Kyle Bennett on the left of midfield where James Harper retained his place and centre-back Shelton Martis started his first game since recovering from a pre-season calf injury.

The Canaries also made a number of changes to their team and were the first to threaten, teenage striker Harry Kane shooting just wide.

Rovers went close to taking the lead against the run of play on 12 minutes through David Cotterill but his shot was blocked by the goalkeeper and Blake’s follow up shot was tipped away for a corner by the keeper.

Rovers remained on attack and Martis just cleared the bar with a glancing header from a corner on the left.

Norwich quickly regained the initiative and Kane’s shot hit Martis after goalkeeper Woods had failed to deal with a ball into the box as well as he would have wished.

He did better shortly after, pushing Marc Tierney’s 25 yarder over the bar at the expense of a corner.

The home side broke the deadlock on 27 minutes, Alexander Tettey beating Woods from outside the area with an angled shot which hit the far post, to claim his first goal for the club.

Woods did well to get a hand to a low angled 25 yarder by Jacob Butterfield.

It wasn’t all one-way traffic, however, and Cotterill won Rovers a 36th minute corner from which the ball whizzed around the box like a ball in pinball machine during which time centre-back Jamie McCombe had a shot cleared off the line.

Woods got down to smother Kane’s angled shot from just inside the area at the near post.

McCombe saved a certain goal on the stroke of half-time, deflecting Ryan Bennett’s goalbound eight-yard shot for a corner.

Saunders replaced the limping Martin Woods with David Syers on 50 minutes.

Woods produced a magnificent one-handed diving save to keep out Holt’s header at the expense of a 73rd minute corner.

Syers, the two-goal hero of Rovers 3-2 win over Hull City in the last round missed two late chances to level things up as Rovers bowed out.

NORWICH: Bunn 6; E Bennett 7, R Bennett 7, Ward 7, Tierney 7; Butterfield 7, Tettey 7, Fox 6, Martin **6, Holt 7, Kane *6. Substitutes: Ruddy, Turner, Jackson *50, Hoolahan ** 71, Morrison, Barnett, Murphy.

ROVERS: G Woods 8, Quinn 7, Martis 7, McCombe 7, Spurr ***6; Cotterill 7, M Woods *6, Harper 6, Husband 7; Blake **6, Hume 6. Substitutes: Maxted, Jones, Syers * 50, Brown *57, K Bennett *** 60, Middleton, Keegan.

Referee: Darren Deadman

Bookings: Elliott Bennett

Goal: Norwich: Tettey (27)

Attendance: 13, 982