Rovers glee: Iain Hume celebrates with Chris Brown
Rovers glee: Iain Hume celebrates with Chris Brown
Have your say

doncaster Rovers picked up their third away win of the season with first half goals by Hume and Cotterill.

The Os went into the game having picked up 10 points from their last four games with Rovers being unbeaten in their last three.

Rovers were the first to threaten, Syers shooting high from just outside the box in the first 90 seconds.

Hume also shot over from a similar distance but did find the net after 11 minutes with an angled shot from the edge of the area, after good work by Brown in the build-up, to claim his first goal for the club.

Bennett got on the end of Cotterill’s right-wing cross at the far post, only to see his close-range header collected by keeper Allsop.

Rovers had brought a decent following down and they were rewarded with a second goal after 20 minutes - COTTERILL supplying the finishing touches to a 20-yard shot by Syers.

It had been a dream start by Rovers in what had been predicted to be a testing game.

Husband took the safe option of putting the ball over the line for a corner when called upon to deal with Cox’s right-wing cross beyond the post.

Hume, who was looking sharp and full of running, shot well wide of the far post with an angled shot from the edge of the area on 26 minutes.

Husband had equipped himself well in the unaccustomed role of right-back so far and he pushed well upfield before feeding the ball through to Brown, only to see the big striker ruled offside.

Woods had plenty of time to smother a left-wing cross into the box at the near post after full-back Sawyer had pushed on down the flank.

It had been a near complete performance by Rovers in the first half - being solid at the back, creative in midfield and clinical in and around the box.




The Os were first out of the blocks in the second half and Brunt tested Woods with an angled shot in the 46th minute.

Jones cut out the danger from Clarke’s cross into the box at the expense of a 50th minute corner from which Brunt went close to opening the Os account.

Woods made a fine save from Lisbie’s header after the Os striker had got on the end of a right-wing cross.

The Os, who knew that they had to score the next goal, had looked a different side to that of the first half so far.

Rovers midfielder Bennett, who was having one of his better games of late, was booked on 68 minutes.

Hume shot wide of the far post under pressure from the right side of the box after getting on the end of a long ball.

Lisbie just failed to get on the end of Sawyer’s right-wing cross at the far post as the Os continued to look for the goal they needed to get back into the game.

Cotterill joined Bennett and Brown in the referee’s notebook when being booked on 79 minutes.

Martin Woods, doubtful in the build-up with an ankle injury, replaced Bennett a minute later.

Jones produced a superb blocking tackle on Clarke on the edge of the area.

Rovers made a second change on 85 minutes with Quinn replacing Cotterill. Striker Paynter came on for Hume with three minutes of normal time left.

Paynter became the sixth player to be booked by referee Miller in stoppage time.

Brown shot over from 20 yards out in the last minute of stoppage time after good work by Husband and Paynter in the build-up.