Latest Result - Fleetwood Town 3 Doncaster Rovers 1

Nathan Tyson fires Rovers'  equaliser. Picture: Steve Uttley
Nathan Tyson fires Rovers' equaliser. Picture: Steve Uttley
Have your say

It was a day at the seaside to forget for Rovers as they fell to a 3-1 defeat at Fleetwood.

Nathan Tyson had superbly cancelled out Stephen Dobbie’s opener for the hosts but strikes from Liam McAlinden and David Ball secured all three points for the hosts.

There will have been plenty of disappointment with the manner in which the goals were conceded with all three coming from attacks down the right.

But it was a largely disappointing afternoon as a whole for Rovers, who lacked fludity for much of the afternoon apart from a decent spell following the equaliser.

McAlinden himself really should have given Fleetwood the lead after three minutes, latching onto a free ball inside the box but only able to send a low shot wide from ten yards.

Fleetwood took the lead after 12 minutes with a fortunate strike from Dobbie.

McAlinden flicked on a cross, the ball richocheted off Luke McCullough to the feet of Dobbie who lashed into the top corner from six yards out.

Tyson produced a superb equaliser as Rovers hit back straight away at Fleetwood.

Four minutes after falling behind, Tyson received the ball on the edge of the box, turned and shot in one movement, hooking the ball past a static Chris Maxwell.

Rovers improved after finding the equaliser and began to enjoy more success in the opposition half.

Richie Wellens really should have put them in front when he met a James Coppinger cut back but sent his first time effort straight at Chris Maxwell.

McAlinden scored the most simple of tap-ins to put Fleetwood back in front.

The forward was not tracked at all as he darted into the box to meet David Ball’s low cross and turn the ball home from four yards.

Rovers should have been level just before half time. Harry Forrester stretched to turn a high ball across the face of goal but it evaded all those inside the six yard box.

Coppinger then collected the ball and picked out Jamie McCombe who powered a shot narrowly wide from just inside the box.

Dobbie had a good chance to extend Fleetwood’s lead on 52 minutes. McAlinden cut the ball back to Dobbie on the edge of the area but his attempt to place his shot made for a simple save for Jed Steer.

Rovers surged up the pitch and Coppinger produced a stunning save from Maxwell.

Coppinger smashed Forrester’s cross first time with Maxwell palming away the effort.

Paul Dickov threw on Kyle Bennett and the returning Curtis Main as his side chased the equaliser.

But it was the hosts who looked more like scoring as the hour mark approach.

Ball was in plenty of space when he sent a shot on goal from ten yards with Steer pawing the ball away.

And then Dobbie tried his aim with a drive from 20 yards which produced another fine stop from the Rovers keeper.

Dobbie continued to find good space and appeared at the back post on 67 minutes to strike first time a deep cross from the left which Steer did well to save with his legs.

Fleetwood put one hand on the three points with a third goal on 73 minutes.

Liam McAlinden sent in a low ball from the right and David Ball produced a stunning backheel flick that left Jed Steer standing and the ball nestled in the bottom corner.

Rovers almost pulled a goal back immediately with substitute Bennett curling a fine free kick only to be denied by a superb one handed stop from Chris Maxwell.

Rovers faded away at the game wore on, leaving the hosts to see out the win in comfortable fashion.

Fleetwood: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Pond, Jordan, Crainey, Schumacher (Southern 77), Evans, Morris, Dobbie (Hughes 88), Ball, McAlinden (Proctor 84).

Subs: Davies, Roberts, Hughes, Sarcevic, Proctor, Southern, Haughton

Rovers: Steer, Wabara, McCullough, McCombe (Robinson 83), Evina, De Val (Bennett 61), Coppinger, Keegan, Wellens, Forrester (Main 61), Tyson.

Subs: Marosi, Lund, Wakefield, Furman, Bennett, Robinson, Main.

Referee: S Martin.