Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.
Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.
Have your say

DONCASTER Rovers were left still looking for their first Championship win of the season after a 2-0 defeat at Reading left them rooted to the foot of the table with only a point to their name.

Rovers were seeking their first ever win at Reading’s Madejski Stadium.

Bennett crossed the ball into the Royals’ box in Rovers’ first serious excursion into Reading territory, but there was no team-mate there to capitalise and keeper Federici made an easy collection.

Sullivan did well to deny Kebe’s goal-bound header from a right-wing cross at the expense of a fifth minute corner from which Hunt, back in the Reading side after a back problem, headed just wide of the far post.

Hunt failed to capitalise on a right-wing cross by fellow striker Church at the far post whilst under pressure from O’Connor.

The Royals, whose left-back, Mills, played for Rovers in last season’s fixture, looked dangerously forward in the first opening minutes.

Coppinger won Rovers a corner on the right in the 23rd minute after Bennett had shown his pace on a midfield run.

Rovers looked to have weathered the early pressure and were starting to impose themselves more on the game. Friend read the situation well and cut out a dangerous-looking left-wing cross by Church meant for Hunt.

Leigertwood shot just wide of the far post with an angled effort after getting the better of Martis on the edge of the area.

Reading had looked the more dangerous in the final third for most of the half but Sullivan hadn’t been seriously tested since the opening minutes.

Reading replaced the injured Kebe with former Millers star Le Fondre on 42 minutes.

Friend was having an excellent game and did well to block a close-range shot by Church at the expense of a corner.


Reading 0 Doncaster Rovers 0

Rovers will have been the happier of the two sides to go in goal-less at the interval.

Although they had defended well, particularly Friend, they had lacked any real fire power in attack. And it was difficult to see where a goal was going to come from.

Reading were the first to threaten after the break, McAnuff shooting well wide of the near post. The same player had a 20-yarder blocked for a 50th minute corner.

Bennett shot wide of the far post from the edge of the area after turning a defender.

An uncharacteristic mistake by keeper Sullivan served to give Reading the opening goal of the game on 52 minutes - CHURCH putting the ball into the empty net.

Rovers had claims for handball in a crowded area ignored by the referee.

Rovers made a change on 54 minutes with Lalkovic coming on for Bennett.

The Royals doubled their lead on 59 minutes when LE FONDRE headed home from a left-wing cross at the far post to claim his first Championship goal.

Oster, facing the club where he spent four years earlier in his career, helped set up a shooting chance for Coppinger, the midfielder arguing in vain that a deflection off a defender caused it to veer wide of the far post.

Coppinger did better when shooting just wide of the left-hand post from 20 yards out on 70 minutes after some neat interplay in the build-up.

Oster was working hard to get Rovers going forward, but it was Friend who continued to be head and shoulders above his team-mate.

Coppinger and Barnes had shots from outside the area blocked by defenders in quick succession.

Hunt got a powerful header on target from Mills’ cross at the far post but Sullivan made a confident collection.

For a full report of this game see the Green’Un.