Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.
Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.
Have your say

doncaster ROVERS threw away a two goal lead to lose at Elland Road against Leeds United.

Rovers started the game with only 10 men, Chimbonda not appearing until after two minutes of play but they still made the early runing.

Bamogo, who went down in the box with no-one near him limped off to be replaced by Bagayoko on 24 minutes.

Leeds centre-back Lees headed high and wide from a 25th minute corner. Rovers centre-back Hird was booked for a 27th minute foul.

There was a lack of vocal support for Rovers with a number of regulars boycotting the game due to the level of admission prices but the few were overjoyed when Rovers took the lead after 32 minutes.

Diouf shot Hayter’s way and only a brave save by the Leeds keeper denied him a shooting chance. The danger still wasn’t over for Leeds however, and the loose ball fell nicely for BAGAYOKO, who fired home from the edge for his first goal for the club.

The goal sparked off chants of “Bates Out” by a section of the Leeds fans.

Snodgrass, who helped Leeds destroy Rovers in the corresponding fixture last year, got no joy when he tried to take on Spurr down the right. For all their territorial dominance, Leeds had not shown a great deal of invention so far.

Rovers doubled their lead on 54 minutes. Spurr picked out Diouf at the far post and heb took the chance for BAGAYOKO to grab his second from close range to make it 2-0.

Leeds pulled a goal back within minutes when TOWNSEND beat Button from just inside the area to make it 2-1.

Leeds made a change on the hour with Brown replacing Pugh in midfield.

Townsend went close to a second goal at the other end but his shot came just outside the area.

Button dived to his right to deny Becchio a 54th minute equaliser after he had got on the end of a right-wing cross.

It was end-to-end football at this stage and there looked to be more goals in the offering.

Barnes shot well wide of the near post when trying his luck with a 25-yarder on 68 minutes.

Button dived bravely at McCormack’s feet to snuff out a dangerous-looking Leeds raid.

Leeds drew level on 80 minutes when Snodgrass got the better of Chimbonda and crossed for CLAYTON to score to make it 2-2.

Rovers skipper Stock was booked for an 83rd minute foul.Hayter, set up by Diouf, shot just wide in a one-on-one with the keeper on 84 minutes.

Spurr, replaced by O’Connor, and Rogers, replaced by Forssell were both stretchered off at the start of stoppage time.

BECCHIO put Leeds United in front for the first time in stoppage time with a curling shot from the edge of the area which gave Button no chance to win the match.