FULL TIME: Doncaster Rovers 1 Bristol City 1 (HT:0-1)

Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.
Rovers: Doncaster Rovers latest news, reports and more.
Have your say

AFTER a poor start, bottom of the table Doncaster Rovers grabbed their first point of the season with a 1-1 home draw with Bristol City.

Rovers were looking to bounce back from their worst start to a season for more than a decade.

Not since they were relegated to the Conference from the old Division Three in the 1997-98 season (when they lost their first five games) have Rovers lost their first four league games.

City were the first to threaten - £2m striker Maynard shooting wide of the right-hand post after breaking clear.

Rovers, who had started with Dumbuya and Spurr again playing as wing-backs, hit back through Bennett, their man of the match against Leeds.

Rovers centre-back Naylor, whose run was not picked up by the Bristol defence, went close with a powerful close-range header from Barnes’ 25th minute corner.

Elliott then had a goal-bound shot from a corner blocked by Friend in a crowded goal mouth.

James needed two attempts to collect an angled shot from just outside the area by Dumbuya on 43 minutes.

Adomah shot just wide when well placed after City had broken quickly but Hayter tested James with a long range shot as play continued to switch from end to end.

Adomah broke the deadlock on 45 minutes, after getting the better of both Naylor and keeper Woods. James saved from Friend as Rovers looked for a quick equaliser in stoppage time.

Some Rovers fans were beginning to get frustrated by the team’s failure to mount any real pressure on the Bristol goal in the first half.

Rovers looked to have got the break they were looking for on 56 minutes when Bennett was brought down in the box.

But their elation quickly turned to despair as Hayter failed to beat James from the resulting spot kick.

Hayter made amends for his earlier miss when heading Rovers level on 69 minutes.

Woolford tucked the ball away but the officials ruled that it had already crossed the line.

Buoyed by the goal, Rovers pushed forward again and James had to get down quickly to smother a low angled shot by Dumbuya at the near post.

Lalkovic fired into the side netting after getting on the end of a neat backheel in the box.

Bennett almost grabbed an 89th minute winner with a 20-yarder which James did well to save at the expense of a corner.

The crowd, which included 423 visiting fans out of 7,778, was the lowest so far this season for a league game

For a full report see the Green’Un