Cold comfort as Worksop beat freeze

Have your say

Worksop Town’s home clash against struggling Ossett Town was one of only two Premier Division games to go ahead, with the rest falling victim to frozen pitches.

It gave the Tigers the ideal opportunity to climb up to third in the table with a win over an Ossett outfit second from bottom who had lost their last three games, conceding 1-goals in the process.

But Ossett withstood Worksop’s early endeavour to win 4-1.

They responded with three goals before the break and, although the Tigers gave themselves a glimmer of hope when they pulled one back at the start of the second half, the visitors wrapped up a thoroughly deserved win just past the hour mark

With games in hand on all the teams above them in the table, Worksop are still well placed in sixth.

But although it may be put down to a bad day at the office, four defeats in the last five outings is a blip in form that the Tigers could well do without, with the next two games against second-placed Colwyn Bay and leaders FC Halifax Town.

Danny Bacon struck a free-kick just wide then Max Wragg wasn’t far away with a curling cross after Mikel Suarez and Chris Bettney had combined as Worksop dominated the opening exchanges.

But it was Ossett who took the lead somewhat against the run of play on 21 minutes when Daniel Facey tapped in from two yards after Danny Clapham had drilled a shot across the face of goal.

The two combined again nine minutes later for the second, Clapham heading back across goal for Facey to fire in from sixyards.

Worksop’s top scorer, Ben Tomlinson, had surprisingly been left on the bench by boss Martin McIntosh but was introduced into the fray on 41 minutes.

However, within two minutes the Tigers had fell further behind when Nathan Kemp headed in to make it 3-0.

Worksop were out of the blocks quickly at the start of the second half and had pulled a goal back within four minutes with a superb left-foot Bettney free-kick.

But hopes of a comeback were snuffed out as the visitors restored their three-goal cushion. Kemp had time and space to easily beat keeper Jon Kennedy.

FC Halifax Town extended their lead at the top of the table after a 3-0 win at promotion hopefuls North Ferriby United with former Stocksbridge striker Jamie Vardy scoring two of the goals.

n Tomorrow: Premier: Frickley Athletic v Whitby Town. Division One South: Glapwell v Sheffield FC (at Hall Corner). League Cup Fourth Round: Matlock Town v Barwell, Stocksbridge Park Steels v North Ferriby United.