Club progress in Trophy

The returning Conor Higginson slides a great chance wide of the post. for Sheffield against Romulus
The returning Conor Higginson slides a great chance wide of the post. for Sheffield against Romulus
Have your say

Sheffield FC bounced back from a run of three games without a win to progress in the FA Trophy with a 2-0 home victory over Evo-Stik League One rivals Romulus in the second qualifying round tie at the BT Local Business Stadium.

There was a welcome return for striker Conor Higginson after missing the last five games with injury while new signing Nathan Modest had his debut delayed again with the former Sheffield Wednesday striker having not shaken off his knock.

Club had the better of the first half and deservedly went in front at the break. The goal coming on 37 minutes when a Jack Barnett inswinging corner flew through a host of bodies before going in off defender Robert Evans.

Sheffield went close to doubling the advantage just before the interval from a Higginson free-kick that forced a good save from Romulus goalkeeper Chris Jay.

Higginson again went close on the hour rolling the ball just wide of the post from a tight angle following Matt Varley’s fine through ball.

Sheffield eventually wrapped up the tie with the second on 89 minutes when substitute Dan Williams cut inside to find the top corner from 18 yards after Ashley Longstaff had flicked the ball on. Romulus misery was compounded in injury time as Richard Robinson was shown a straight red card for foul and abusive language.

Worksop Town will try again at Sandy Lane on Wednesday after a 1-1 draw at Division One North Radcliffe Borough in a tale of two penalties.

Worksop made the breakthrough on 67 minutes when Jamie Jackson was bundled over in the area and Marc Roberts comfortably converted the resulting spot-kick. Six minutes later though Radcliff hit back to level, Danny Davidson was adjudged to have brought down Ben Wharton leaving Dave Sherlock to convert from the spot.

Matlock Town also face a reply on Wednesday after a battling 0-0 draw at Evo-Stik Premier Division rivals Hednesford Town. The Gladiators played out the last 23 minutes with 10-men after Kris Bowler received his marching orders for a second yellow card.

Buxton went out at 3-0 at Premier Division rivals Northwich Victoria. Ian Kearney fired the home side into a 33rd minute lead with Michael Clarke heading the second three minutes later. Michael Roddy duly sealed a comfortable win with a glancing header

Managerless Stocksbridge Park Steels put in a battling performance at promotion hopefuls Bradford Park Avenue before sliding to a 2-0 loss. Reserve team manager Steve Shutt and first team player/coach Darren Schofield have been temporarily put in charge of team affairs following the resignation of manager Gary Marrow last week with Steels third from bottom of the Premier Division.

Frickley Athletic eased to a 3-1 win at rock bottom Burscough after goals from Ollie Ryan, Bradley Gray and a Ben Turner freek-kick.

Wednesday - FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round replay: Matlock Town v Hednesford Town, Worksop Town v Radcliffe Borough.