Club hit for six again as home hoodoo goes on

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield FC were hit for six for the second time in three weeks at home as Coalville Town added to Club’s home woes, running out comfortable 6-2 winners to inflict a ninth home reversal in the last ten.

Luke Smithson was given too much time on the edge of the box to fire the visitors into a 10th minute lead. Sheffield responded quickly with Ben Algar’s perfectly weighted through ball sending James Gregory through to score with a clinical finish.

Coalville regained the lead on 24 minutes through Nathan Watson’s 20-yard shot on the turn. The pivotal point came just after the half hour mark. From a Kieran Walker long throw Matt Roney headed against the post with the keeper beaten. From what should have been 2-2 it suddenly became 3-1 to the visitors as they raced straight up the other end with Smithson tucking away his second.

The game was put beyond Sheffield on 38 minutes when Jake Woolley curled a shot over the stranded Jake Eastwood from the edge of the area. Woolley then netted his second and Coalville’s fifth seven minutes into the second half after intercepting a wayward pass.

Joel Purkiss gave Sheffield’s biggest crowd of the season something to cheer with a brilliant strike from distance that left the keeper beaten all ends up to reduce the arrears on 79 minutes. Coalville though had the last word as Woolley completed his hat trick eight minutes from time.

Stocksbridge Park Steels earned a creditable 1-1 draw at play-off chasing Spalding United to end a run of three away defeats on the trot.

Steels arrived at the game 25 minutes before kick-off after being held up in traffic following a motorway collision but the match official refused to delay the start.

Stocksbridge channelled frustration into the game where after making a bright start took deserved 33rd minute lead when Ryan Laight out jumped the defence to nod home from a corner.

That goal looked like being enough as the clock ticked down only for Matt Nolan to head the equaliser three minutes from time as the hosts’ attacks became more desperate.