Chesterfield submit predicted financial losses during coronavirus outbreak to National League

Chesterfield have submitted their predicted financial losses as a result of the coronavirus pandemic to the National League.

Tuesday, 24th March 2020, 8:40 pm

The National League sent out cash flow forecasting forms this week to calculate the financial strain clubs would be put under during this unprecedented time.

The overall financial package needed to help the 68 clubs in the top two divisions of the National League is thought to be between £17m and £20m.

The EFL has announced a £50m short-term relief fund for its members but that is not possible for the National League so chief executive Mike Tattersall is reportedly set to ask the Football Association to help.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But Dagenham managing director Steve Thompson has said clubs can’t expect a bailout from the FA and the money may have to come from the government.

Barnet FC announced on Tuesday that all non-playing staff have been put on notice of redundancy while players, management and staff at Aldershot Town have agreed to take a pay cut.

All National League fixtures are suspended until at least April 3 but the expectation is that games will be postponed until the end of the month in line with the Premier League and EFL.

National League clubs may need as much as £20m between them to survive with no matchday revenue because of the coronavirus outbreak.

The Spireites should have been at home to Maidenhead United today which would have brought in between £25,000 and £35,000 in revenue, according to company secretary Ashley Carson.

Chesterfield would not have had any other home matches before April 3 but are due to play Boreham Wood at the Proact on on April 4 and Stockport County on Good Friday and that game could bring in around £60,000 if it goes ahead, Mr Carson told the DT.

Meanwhile, the Proact and the training ground has been closed down until further notice as a precaution because of the pandemic.

The players had been due back in training on Monday but that has now been cancelled but they have been given individual training programmes to follow.

As it stands no Blues players or staff members have been diagnosed or shown symptoms of coronavirus.