Spireites Match Report: Chesterfield 3 York 0

Drew Talbot celebrates
Drew Talbot celebrates
Have your say

CHESTERFIELD made it 16 games unbeaten against York City.

After a goalless and even first half, the striker-less Spireites ran amok after the break, keeping their first home clean sheet since Easter Monday in the process.

Drew Talbot opened the scoring straight after the break before Danny Whitaker struck immediately after coming off the bench. Tendayi Darikwa wrapped things up for the hosts with Whitaker again involved in the build-up.

With Jack Lester suspended and Marc Richards injured,manager Paul Cook brought in Conor Townsend for his first start, pushing midfielders Luis Boa Morte and Jay O’Shea forwards.

As the rain poured down, the game started at break neck pace and both sets of defence had to be alert in the opening seconds though it took 20 minutes for either keeper to be called into serious action.

Ingham had to dive left to keep a Sam Hird glancing header out following Mark Randall’s free-kick and ten minutes later Tommy Lee had to extend himself to keep a Michael Potts shot out and soon after he had to smother a Matty Blair angled effort.

Boa Morte shot close towards the end of a non-stop half in term of effort and endeavour but one that lacked the normal level of goalmouth scrapping that fans love, the visitors being marginally the better side.

But within a minute of the restart, Spireites were ahead in front of their highest crowd of the season. Randall’s free-kick fell kindly for Talbot to slot home from close in for his first goal since March. He became the 17th different man to score for Chesterfield this season.

City had claims for a penalty waved away moments later and then Danny Parslow had an air-shot as Gary Mills’ side became ever more frustrated.

O’Shea won the ball well and found Boa Morte but the Portuguese was crowded out just as he looked set to double the advantage.

Whitaker though did just that. Boa Morte’s free-kick went via O’Shea and Talbot to the sub who took one touch to control and he scored with his second.

Two minutes later Whitaker intercepted a bad back-pass, squared for Boa Morte who was half-tackled and the ball fell for Darikwa to wrap up the points