Spireites FT: Wycombe 1 Chesterfield 0

Paul Cook vents his anger at the fourth official
Paul Cook vents his anger at the fourth official
Have your say

Chesterfield and manager Paul Cook suffered an off day at Wycombe, with Paul Cook sent to the stands as his side were beaten at Wycombe.

Fresh from their midweek heroics in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy when they booked a Wembley final date, Chesterfield’s mindset returned to league action at Adams Park.

Spireites at Wycombe

Spireites at Wycombe

Spireites had to dig in deep against Fleetwood on Tuesday and it was clear from the opening exchanges that lowly Wycombe Wanderers were going to be no pushovers.

Doherty and Johnson were commanding at the back for the hosts and cut out crosses whenever Chesterfield got around the sides in the opening quarter of the game.

Wycombe had the first sight of goal in the first five minutes when McClure flashed a header wide of Lee’s left hand post when he was first to get to Kretzchmar’s cross.

Jeffrey chanced his arm with a speculative volley from 30 yards, after Evatt had partially cleared, but his effort went wide of the Spireites’ keeper’s right hand post.

Chesterfield were restricted to very few attacks. O’Shea showed good feet to get away from Wood on the right to spring an attack which fizzled out before he and Roberts switched sides in an attempt to break down the hosts.

But Wycombe were dictating matters and Jeffrey’s shot was blocked by Humphreys when he had better options with Bloomfield making advances on the right on the overlap.

Lee was on his toes to make a vital sliding challenge inside his six yard box ahead of McClure when Ryan had tackled Bloomfield and the ball inadvertently ricocheted into danger.

Bloomfield blazed over the bar from 25 yards while at the other end Johnson threw himself in harm’s way to block bravely from O’Shea’s volley after Doyle had held the ball up.

The hosts went ahead when Evatt was adjudged to have handled a cross from McClure with his arms appearing to be by his side.

KRETZSCHMAR stepped up and blasted the ball down the centre of the goal to put Wycombe one up.

Chesterfield sprung into action and the free-flowing football they have become synonymous with throughout this season began to come to the fore. But they couldn’t find a way around a well-organised Wycombe side.

It was a frustrating half for the Spireites which was compounded moments before the break when manager Paul Cook was sent to the stands for his protestations at some controversial decisions.

Gnanduillet replaced O’Shea at the break as Chesterfield reverted to a 4-4-2 formation in an attempt to find a way back into the game.

The Ivorian striker was locked in a physical battle with Doherty and, after a tussle for the ball, the Wycombe defender was substituted after he fell awkwardly on his arm.

The experienced central defender looked in considerable pain as he was led down the tunnel by the club physio and replaced by Stewart.

Lee watched McClure’s curling left-footed shot go wide of his right hand post as the hosts looked to shoot at every given opportunity.

Richards was brought on in place of Doyle as the game continued to be largely played in the air. Wycombe skipper Lewis bundled Roberts over.

And, from the resulting free kick, Spireites thought they had levelled. Roberts swung the ball to the back post where Evatt planted a free header into the corner of the net.

Yet an assistant referee’s flag ruled Evatt had strayed offside and the visiting supporters’ celebrations were cut short.

Chesterfield were beginning to find more of the ball but hadn’t had a shot on target as the match approached the last 10 minutes.

Wycombe were almost inviting the visitors on and Spireites looked to find their rhythm by switching the ball wide to Roberts and substitute Gardner.

Bloomfield could have sealed the three points for Wycombe when he cut inside and scuffed a free shot straight at Lee.

Spireites responded with their first effort on target - in the 87th minute - when Roberts’ shot from distance was easy for Ingram.The home support found their voice as the clock approached the 90 minute mark, as they attempted to do all they could to see their side home.

Spireites piled on the pressure but it was was a valuable three points for the Chairboys.