Match Report: Rotherham United 1 Chesterfield 0

Kari Arnason holds off Sam Hird. Pic: Steve Parkin
Kari Arnason holds off Sam Hird. Pic: Steve Parkin
Have your say

ROTHERHAM United can celebrate local bragging rights after Johnny Mullins second half header gave the Millers victory in front of over 11,000 at New York Stadium.

The fans produced a tremendous atmosphere with a great reception for both teams and the decibel levels went up during a cracking start.

Chesterfield were first to show when they broke away from a Rotherham free-kick. Lester carried the ball over halfway and kept going before striking a 25-yarder which Warrington saved low to his left.

The visitors were being tested at the back and when Nardiello was brought down by Hird, it earned the Spireite a booking. It also meant a two-game-suspension, as it was his tenth of the season.

More problems for Chesterfield saw Noble get a clear sight of goal 20 yards out but his effort was deflected wide.

It had been an all-action affair as you would expect and Chesterfield had the next opportunity.

A long free-kick from Smith was misjudged by Mullins. Richards chested the ball down but then struck his angled shot into the side netting.

Rotherham provided the move of the game with some brilliant stuff down their left to put Kearns into the area. Again Cooper responded superbly to rescue matters by clearing behind from inside the six-yard area.

Chesterfield had certainly been busy defensively and had more pressure to soak up from a third successive corner. A loose ball fell towards Arnason and it was Lester, coming off the line, who made a goal-saving intervention to deflect the ball behind.

Mullins deflected a sharp effort from Lester behind for a corner and the visitors would have been delighted to have gone in level at the break.

In the opening minute of the half Rotherham had the best chance of the game.

Frecklington caught Revell clean away and he looked sure to score, only to cut his effort wide at the post. It was a real let off for Chesterfield.

However, the goal Rotherham had craved and deserved finally arrived on 57 minutes. A corner on the right, Noble took it and it was skipper MULLINS who stormed in to power home a header.

Two minutes after the goal, Chesterfield had an opportunity to equalise.

The pass went in to Lester so Davis challenged and nudged the ball away only for Togwell to close in 16 yards out and shoot wide of the near post, much to his dismay.

On the hour, boss Paul Cook made two changes replacing Lester and O’Shea with Townsend and Gnanduillet.

Instantly the big Gnanduillet made his presence felt and, as Rotherham struggled to get the ball clear, Richards blazed an angled effort over the top.

Chesterfield were managing some sort of attacking pressure as they strove for the equaliser.

Following a free-kick, Whitaker found Hird. His centre was dangerous but just too high for Gnanduillet and his header went astray.

Chesterfield’s final substitiuion saw Whitaker replaced by Brindley, who went to right-back with Talbot pushing forward.

When Noble found Nardiello inside the area, his low shot was touched wide of the far post by Lee.

The game remained in the balance now but the crowd of 11,143 were lapping up every minute.

Togwell had the ball in the net but the offside flag was up and no-one could argue over the result - Rotherham deserved it.

A Talbot header was a whisker wide in stoppage time.