Match report: Ilkeston 1 Chesterfield 3

Jay O'Shea
Jay O'Shea
Have your say

Spireites notched another win against Northern Premier League opposition having seen off Matlock and Buxton earlier in the month.

However, Ilkeston caused a hatful of problems particularly in the second half, against a ten change visitors’ line up.

Jay O’Shea opened the scoring with a penalty spot Armand Gnanduillet was upended by Brazilian keeper Evandro Rachoni and the striker was soon on the scoresheet himself, powerfully heading home following a fine Dan Gardner cross from on the run down the left touchline.

With a two goal cushion looking odds-on for the break, the hosts pulled a goal back when Liam Marshall was able to head home unmarked from Oliver Luto’s right wing corner. Manager Dean Saunders will not have been happy with that concession.

Rai Simons, on after the break against the side he was signed from, a deal that was responsible for this friendly fixture, scored Chesterfield’s third, a neat finish from a Gboly Ariyibi pass at a time when the League One side was under the cosh.

Saunders rewarded Gnanduillet with a start after his excellent second half showing at the weekend. The French-born striker was involved throughout the opening 45 minutes, finding himself through on goal but his control let him down and the golden opportunity ended with Sylvan Ebanks-Blake offside. Gnanduillet finished the half with a booking following a spat with Marshall after the Ilkeston man tripped him in full flight.

The Chesterfield fans at the ground were delighted to see Tendayi Darikwa in a blue shirt despite his transfer request and interest from Preston North End amongst others.

Only Raglan remained on the park for Spireites for the second half, meaning keeper Aaron Chapman got his first minutes on a pitch since his ankle operations last season.

Dion Donohue, signed this summer from Sutton Coldfield, delivered a delightful cross after a short corner routine but none of his teammates were able to connect and the first real chance after the break came to Charlie Coulson who weaved a bit of magic before hammering a rising shot onto the underside of the bar, the ball bouncing kindly for Spireites to clear.

Curtis Burrows slid an angled right footer just wide and Peterborough loanee Edwards forced a box-edge save from Chapman and he then hit high from range as Chesterfield began to look disjointed and their passing fell apart whilst Ilkeston stepped up as the rain began to team down.

Simons goal halted the hosts’ dominance and they soon made a ruck of substitutions as the game concluded with little additional meaningful action.

*A Chesterfield XI travel to Belper Town this evening (7pm) with several of the youth side set to join the squad, the next full first team friendly being at Hartlepool on Saturday.

*Chesterfield (First Half): Cairns, Darikwa, Raglan, Evatt, Jones, Gardner, Banks, Morsy, O’Shea, Gnanduillet, Ebanks-Blake.

*Second Half: Chapman, Beesley, Raglan, Hird, Humphreys, Simons, Onovwigun, Donohue, Ariyibi, Harrison, Dieseruvwe.

*Ilkeston: Rachoni, Doyle, Luto, K.Williams, Baker, Marshall, Coulson, Bako, Edwards, M.Williams, Burrows. Subs: Shaw, Print, Udoh, Hodgett-Young, Brown, Goddard, Wheatley, Triallist.

*Referee: Richard Eley (Derbyshire)