Chesterfield: Spireites news, reports and more.
Chesterfield: Spireites news, reports and more.
Have your say

CHESTERFIELD suffered a late blow when Wycombe scored in the fourth minute of stoppage time to take the points.

IT WAS a crisp winter’s day in the woodland setting of Adams Park for a huge match for both sides.

Spireites, shoot-out winners in the Johnstone’s in midweek, have failed to bag a win when points have been on offer since Carlisle United visited the B2net on September 17. That win took them to a respectable 14th spot but since then, John Sheridan’s side have slumped to the foot of the pile.

Gary Waddock’s hosts have also plummeted in recent weeks. They started well, reaching seventh place early on, but seven losses in their last 10 games, just one of them won, have seen them fall to 23rd spot, making this game, even at this stage of the season, an enormous one.

Last season as the teams finished first and second in League Two, Chesterfield did the double with two exceptional performances.

Sheridan, having seen his side improve in their last two games, will have been looking for the win whilst the fans will perhaps be more desperate not to lose.

Wearing all white, Morgan and Whitaker found themselves in forward spaces early on. Lee caught Donnelly’s corner and from his ball out, Westcarr crossed in, Clarke helped the ball along and MORGAN tapped in at the far post in the fourth minute for his first league goal in over 14 months.

Trotta headed well wide from a McNamee cross as the game struggled to find a rhythm. But then Wycombe earned a left sided corner that led to an almighty scramble and eventually an equaliser.

Whitaker and Ford both had to block on the line, Winfield hit the bar before the ball fell to McNAMEE on the box edge and his first time shot over a bevy of heads flew into the top corner with 31 minutes played.


Wycombe 1 Spireites 1

The game was there for the taking for both sides and both managers no doubt stated that during the interval.

McNamee blazed high over the bar from the left of the box and Lee had to dive left to block a Grant shot and Basey headed just over from the corner.

Wycombe were the dominant force in the early exchanges but Spireites’ defence was looking solid and from a Chesterfield goal kick, the visitors regained the lead.

Lee’s kick to Talbot was played forwards and MORGAN read the bounce well and hammered in from 20 yards with 54 minutes on the clock.

Lee had to grasp a Beavon long ranger but, generally, Ford and Downes were working well enough to protect their keeper.

Talbot blocked a Grant shot that led to the ball sitting up for Lee.

Mendy drilled a low effort just wide as Spireites looked to maintain, or even add to, their advantage.

You could feel the tension on the Chesterfield bench as they willed every ball to find a white shirt but the hopes of a win were reduced when, with 11 minutes left, TROTTA shot low from the edge of the D through a crowd to beat Lee.

Winfield slipped to gift Chesterfield a corner but Whitaker’s flag kick went straight out before it reached the area. Morgan was booked for throwing the ball away after he was flagged for offside.

Trotta missed a sitter after Beavon had teed him up, the Italian left footed over from an unmarked position justeight yards out.

With fiveminutes remaining, Bowery and Lester replaced Clarke and Morgan. It was Clarke’s final act for the club and fans will have to wait until January to see if the club attempts to bring him in permanently from Swindon. Soon after Obadeyi replaced Westcarr.

Wycombe keeper Bull launched a free kick into the box and BEAVON got on to the end of it to win it for the hosts.