Spireites: Chesterfield FC reports, news and more.
Spireites: Chesterfield FC reports, news and more.
Have your say

A 3-2 home setback against Hartlepool was Shesterfield’s fifth successive defeat - the first such statistic in John Sheridan’s managerial career.

Spireites’ twice player of the year Tommy Lee received a great ovation on his return from injury - but didn’t reappear for the kick-off after pulling his previously injured groin in the pre-match build. He was replaced by Greg Fleming. Dwayne Mattis was drafted onto the bench as a consequence.

Hartlepool started the game in the ascendency, winning back to back corners, but it was the home side that took the lead. Whitaker passed the ball across the 18 yard line, Mendy jumped over the ball allowing CLARKE to get onto it and left foot his 50th career league goal in the 10th minute.

Fleming, who’d made a fine catch earlier, chose to punch a high ball clear but his fisted effort flew straight to MURRAY who stooped to head in from the box-edge in the 17th minute to level the contest.

Within two minutes the home defence dallied around with the ball, which came to POOLE, 25 yards out and left of centre, and his perfectly placed shot hit the back of the net to put the pressure on the hosts.

Holden headed over from a Whitaker corner, one of four in quick time, as a shell-shocked Chesterfield looked to get back on track but they were struggling to string passes together.

Westcarr and Holden played a lovely one-two that saw Hartley intervene and almost slice beyond his own keeper with Clarke poised in case the defender had failed to get a touch. Mendy then ran into the box, cut inside and saw his deflected shot well dealt with by Flinders.

Half Time

Spireites 1 Hartlepool 2

There was a change of linesmen at half-time after an injury, leading to a slightly longer break than normal. The Kop was doing its best to raise the team but just three minutes after the restart, Spireites conceded again.

Horwood delivered a ball in for POOLE to head home from six yards meaning Chesterfield have conceded three goals in each of the last three games.

But Chesterfield were back in it three minutes later. Horwood was booked for not retreating at a free-kick, which was quickly taken by Mendy.

From the next attempt to take it, Randall’s ball in was half cleared, Whitaker drove it back into the box and HOLDEN pounced to stab home to again raise the home fans’ hopes.

Talbot drove just wide after some solid Mendy play before a double change for Spireites, Clay and Downes replacing Randall and Smith. Clay immediately began to add bite to the midfield as Westcarr and Mendy were just unable to breach the rearguard. Brown replaced Luscombe for Pools ahead of Morgan coming on for Allott.

Morgan, Downes Westcarr and Mendy all found themselves in decent positions but were unable to bring the ball to heel at the vital moment. Clay hit high after Mendy crossed and Westcarr laid it back, the best opening since Holden’s goal.

Nish replaced two-goal Poole as the game entered the final few minutes and he was soon carded for time wasting.

For a full report, see the Green’Un