Delight for Drew Talbot with his early goal
Delight for Drew Talbot with his early goal
Have your say

chesterfield had an early lead through Drew Talbot but were ultimately pegged back.

Following on from Spireites’ best 75 minutes of the season, and the most disappointing 90 seconds at Stevenage, John Sheridan left Alex Mendy and Craig Westcarr on the bench. Midfielder Derek Niven was left out of the squad following the 2-2 draw at Broadhall Way.

The hoped-for new midfield signing arrived on Friday, Former Southend United man Franck Moussa on loan from Leicester City for the rest of the season. He is a former Belgian U18 international.

Free-scoring play-off chasing visitors MK Dons saw off Exeter City 3-0 last week but lost 12 goal leading scorer Dean Bowditch to a knock in that game. His absence allowed powerful front man Jabo Ibehre to start. He bagged his first goal of 2012 last week after coming off the bench.

Spireites were looking for a first-ever home win over MK Dons, who these days acknowledge that the club was formed only in 2004 after their controversial move from Wimbledon to the city of the famed concrete cows.

Bowery made an early burst down the left but Flanagan held him off. Spireites then won a corner, it was taken short by Whitaker who received back and crossed in. The ball bounced out for TALBOT to hammer home from 15 yards in the third minute.

Lester could have added a second. Bowery flicked on a Lee kick for his strike partner to run one-on-one with Martin. The experienced striker hit the ball well but the keeper dived left to paw the ball out for a corner that was cleared.

Lester then set up Bowery whose left footer clipped a defender and flew just over. Thompson’s header from the corner was deflected wide and the next corner was eventually cleared as the home side looked sharp and determined.

Hurst had to head away from a Chadwick cross with Ibehre ready to pounce but it wasn’t long before the hosts were on the attack again, Whitaker firing wide from a Bowery tee-up. Trotman had to tackle MacDonald as he looked set to deliver a shot.

Lee blocked at the feet of MacDonald to concede a corner but O’Shea’s good delivery was cleared by the hosts. Thompson blocked a Chadwick shot as Dons got into the game a little more.

Chadwick hit a low effort that caused no issues for Lee. Talbot’s cross in was volleyed just over by Whitaker as the half started at breakneck pace. MacDonald shot at Lee as either side looked capable of bagging the next goal.

Lester headed away a Dons corner but, on 56 minutes it was all square. Irishman O’SHEA celebrated St Patrick’s Day with an individual goal, running with the ball before shooting from the edge of the penalty area.

The goal was enough to plunge Spireites to the foot of the live table and O’Shea almost got in again, shooting high from distance.

Dons were beginning to dominate and they brought on Hall for his debut to replace Chadwick.

Ajose came on for Whitaker, Spireites’ final change and the sub shot across the face after a Bowery pass with his first touch. Martin saved well from Bowery and Trotman’s header from the second phase of the corner was caught by the keeper.

Hall hit the bar with a left-footer, again confirming that both sides looked capable of adding to the score. Westcarr’s cross just eluded Ajose whilst seconds later Lee had to make a double save from Lewington and MacDonald. Williams held off Bowery following a Westcarr ball in as the tension rose.

O’Shea fired wide from a terrific position and Hall was booked for wasting time.