Spireites: Chesterfield FC reports, news and more.
Spireites: Chesterfield FC reports, news and more.
Have your say

CHESTERFIELD were beaten 3-1 at League One leaders Charlton Athletic on their first visit to The Valley since November 1980.

Back then a Spireites team including Danny Wilson, Alan Birch, Ernie Moss and Geoff Salmons lost 1-0 to a Charlton side who managed to win promotion from the old Third Division that season, something Frank Barlow’s side marginally missed out on.

Last weekend’s three goal hero, Leon Clarke, was looking to become the first Spireite since before Chesterfield last won here to score in his first four club appearances. Colin Cook was on target in his opening half dozen games for Spireites back in 1932.

The visitors featured left back Nathan Smith, called up this week for the first time for Jamaica. The 24 year old former Yeovil player qualifies through his grandparents. As a result, he’ll miss Spireites JPT game at Notts County and the League game at Hillsborough due to his Reggae Boyz experience.

Also lining up for Spireites was Simon Ford, a former Charlton youngster who was allowed to move to Grimsby Town before he made their first team.

The biggest buzz in the home side surrounded Danny Hollands. Last week he bagged a brace, his first Athletic goals, and since then he’s become father of triplets.

There was a big crowd present including around 1,500 travelling supporters.

Spireites got in the game’s first effort, Johnson firing just wide after Clarke burst through. Ford had to block Wright-Phillips and the wall blocked Jackson’s free kick, the resulting corner spawned little, as Addicks got their attack involved.

Westcarr fired well over from range in a rare Spireites raid.

Smith headed a Hayes overhead kick from just under the bar but the pressure told moments later when Fleming’s block left him stranded and HAYES got on the end of a Wright-Phillips shot to give the leaders a 19th minute lead.

Ten minutes later Charlton went two up. Talbot was pulled up for hands on the right of the box. The free kick was rolled in by Morrison for JACKSON to guide home from 15 yards.

Spireites had a gilt- edged opening to pull one back.

Whitaker quickly took his side’s first corner, short to Westcarr, who turned and crossed in for Clarke, three yards out, but he volleyed over.

Half-time: Charlton 2 Spireites 0

Eight home corners to one summed up the first half’s make up, but Spireites came out quickly after the break. Westcarr shot over, Whitaker saw a cross scrambled away.

Chesterfield should have had a penalty when Mendy’s cross clearly struck the hand of a Charlton defender, who blocked it, goalkeeper style. Manager Sheridan made his views clear to the officials and was subsequently asked to leave the touchline and relocate to the stand.

Two Whitaker corners, crosses from Smith and Talbot plus a Westcarr shot were dealt with well as Spireites prospered but without the desired output.

A quality move involving Clarke and Westcarr set up Whitaker but his angled shot was gathered well by Hamer.

With Morgan waiting to come on, Clarke dashed into the box and Morrison felled the striker for a penalty. Clarke grabbed the ball but captain Talbot had to intervene to make him aware that WHITAKER was the nominated spot kick man and he duly obliged, right footing home on 72 to give Spireites hope

WRIGHT-PHILLIPS sealed the points with an injury time header.

For a full match report, see the Green’Un.