FT: Chesterfield FC 2 Leeds United 2

editorial image
Have your say

A brace from Sam Morsy gave Chesterfield a hard-earned draw with Championship side Leeds United at the Proact Stadium.

Rudolph Austin had put the visitors ahead shortly after half-time from the penalty spot before Morsy levelled with a powerful drive.

The Spireites midfielder then put the hosts ahead before Austin again kept his nerve from 12 yards as it finished 2-2.

Chesterfield pressed early on and were encouraged by an early corner when Dan Jones advanced down the left. It came to nothing but the signs were positive.

Jones was again involved in a move which brought the game’s first effort on goal when he crossed towards the near post and Eoin Doyle got a toe to the ball.

Marco Silvestri dived to his right and watched the ball go wide of his post but he was called in to action moments later when Sam Morsy won a tussle in midfield.

Morsy surged in to the visitors’ half and found the feet of Gary Roberts, Roberts returned the favour and fed Morsy inside the area who was denied by the Leeds keeper.

Roberts was at it again when he slipped a precise ball through to Doyle, evading the slide of Scott Wootton, the Irishman steadied himself and Silvestri saved to his left.

Roberts demanded the ball at every opportunity and tried a speculative effort from halfway which had Silvestri backpedaling nervously and dropped on the roof of the net.

Leeds, despite a vocal backing, had rarely got in to the final third of the pitch, threatening when Steve Morison found a gaping hole in the Spireites defence.

The former Millwall man slipped Aidy White in on goal and, with seemingly only Tommy Lee to beat, Jones recovered and denied the flying winger a strike on goal.

Sam Byram, who had already produced one cross which asked questions from the hosts’ defence, lobbed a ball to the back post which Luke Murphy glanced wide.

A short back pass from Liam Cooper put Lee under pressure from half-time substitute Souleymane Doukara, which the Chesterfield keeper dealt with calmly.

But the Spireites found themselves a goal down when Jimmy Ryan tripped Luke Murphy in the penalty area and Austin converted the resulting spot kick past Lee.

Chesterfield weren’t behind for long through and when half-time substitute Armand Gnanduillet held up a long ball and found Doyle, Morsy was well positioned on the edge of the area to drive the ball in to the bottom corner of the net.

And midway through the second half the Chesterfield number five got his second of the game when he latched on to a loose ball in the area and struck a shot underneath the dive of Silvestri from eight yards.

There was the inevitable flurry of changes from both sets of benches as Spireites fans got their first look at a Derek Daly and Curtis Morrisson from the club’s youth academy.

But it didn’t signal the end of the game as Austin was given a second opportunity from the spot when Jones cropped Byram in the area, the Leeds skipper went the same way as before to level.

Spireites (4-2-3-1): Lee; Darikwa, Evatt (c), Cooper, Jones; Hird (Gardner HT), Morsy (Humphreys 75), O’Shea (Gnanduillet HT), Ryan (Morrisson 83), Roberts (Featherstone 81); Doyle (Daly 85)

Subs: Anyan, Raglan, Onovwigun, Dawes, Clarke

Leeds (4-2-3-1): Silvestri, Byram, Wootton, Pearce, Warnock (Berardi 74), Murphy (Norris 67), Cook (Tonge 66), Austin (c), Morison (Dawson 76), Smith (Doukara HT), White (Bianchi 64)

Subs: S Taylor, C Taylor, Lees

Goals: Morsy (2); Austin (pen 2)

Referee: Michael Naylor (South Yorkshire)

Attendance: 4,038 (1,769).